Library Director NORTH BATTLEFORD , SK
Lakeland Library Region provides public library services to the cities, towns, and rural communities of west-central Saskatchewan. The Lakeland Board is seeking creative-problem solver with a strong background in library management, administration, and budgeting to lead the region and work with colleagues within Lakeland and around the province to re-imagine rural library service. This position is responsible for the development and management of the library region. It combines high-level planning with hands on operational work. The Library Director will work closely with the Board and with other members of the Saskatchewan Information and Library Services (SILS) consortium.
Duties and Responsibilities Include:
- Responsible for the development and long range planning for the system. With collaboration and approval of the board, the Director will produce a strategic plan for the organization.
- Understands and evaluates professional trends and ensures that the Library remains at the forefront of innovation, ensuring relevancy to its patrons and public.
- Responsible, with the Administration Manager, for the preparation of an annual budget for board consideration and for the implementation of the approved budget and all financial transactions.
- Acts as primary contact with the three levels of government and interprets library legislation, provincial and regional policies, and regional bylaws.
- Responsible to the Board of Lakeland Library Region and its Executive Committee, is secretary to the Board and all committees of the Board, and is responsible for the implementation of all policies, procedures and regulations.
- In collaboration with the Library Board, develops a strategic plan for the organization.
- Responsible for all matters relating to staffing of the region, including preparation of job descriptions, interviewing, evaluating, hiring and engaging and dismissing staff, staff development, staff benefits and working conditions.
- Participates in the collective bargaining process for all employees and together with members of the negotiating team, recommends agreements to the board. Library Directors’ salary is negotiated separately.
- Responsible for public relations, partnership building, community development, and the diplomatic handling of relations with governments, service clubs, etc.
- Provides expertise in library services at headquarters, branches, workshops and seminars, in-service training, meetings, conferences, etc.
- Responsible for regional collection development and the annual materials hierarchy.
- Directly oversees acquisitions, delivery, and other services provided by Headquarters.
- Responsible for allocating open hours to all branches and periodically reviewing/revising the Branch Allocation Formula.
Knowledge, Abilities and Skills:
- Thorough knowledge of library administration methods and principles
- Demonstrated experience with budgets and financial planning
- Familiarity with library systems, policies, and best practices
- Ability to build and communicate a vision for the region
- Ability to plan strategically and to implement plans
- Decisive leadership skills
- Collaborative consensus-building skills
- Excellent oral and written communication abilities and presentation skills
- Creativity and ability to adapt to the unique challenges of a regional system
- Awareness of trends and developments in library, public, and non-profit sectors
- Familiarity with the provincial and municipal government processes
- Completion of an MLIS from an accredited school
- At least five years of relevant library experience including management experience and familiarity with a unionized environment
- Administrative/business management experience
- Valid Saskatchewan Driver’s License
- Criminal Record Check
Hours of Work:
Full Time – requires some evenings and weekends.
Lakeland offers a generous pension and benefits package. Salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience.
Send a cover letter and resume in a single PDF to firstname.lastname@example.org. Review of applicants will begin immediately. Posting is open until filled. We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Closes: 9 August, 2020
Lakeland Library Region
NORTH BATTLEFORD , SK