Research Librarian Vancouver , BC
Your Next Opportunity
Would you like to be a part of Canada’s leading and progressive Business Law firm?
McMillan has an exciting opportunity as a Research Librarian in our Vancouver office.
Summary of Position
This is a full-time permanent position in the Research & Library Services department at McMillan LLP based out of our Vancouver office. The successful candidate will team with three Research Librarians in Toronto and Library Technicians across the country. In addition to providing excellent research and information services to our Vancouver, Calgary, Toronto, Ottawa, Montreal, and Hong Kong offices, the successful candidate will make collection decisions, deliver training and pursue outreach services for the Vancouver and Calgary offices. This is an excellent opportunity for a law librarian with a minimum of 3 years of experience who is looking to further develop their legal and business research skills, training portfolio and collection development experience. We are seeking an energetic, self-motivated individual who is a team player, excels under pressure, has a flexible attitude and effectively establishes priorities. This role also offers a flexible teleworking arrangement.
What You’ll Do
- Provide timely, high-quality legal and corporate research and analysis, and front-line customer service using a variety of print and online research resources.
- Support the firm’s business development initiatives by creating comprehensive industry and company profiles; create reports, target lists, competitive intelligence and economic trend updates.
- Evaluate, analyze and summarize information gathered from a wide variety of sources into succinct findings.
- Work shifts on the reference and research schedule to ensure adequate coverage from 6am-5pm PST, with the occasional shift starting at 6am PST.
- Develop, coordinate and facilitate outreach and training for Firm members in multiple offices.
- Provide consultation, research guidance and assistance to lawyers, students, and staff in the conduct of their own research.
- Provide current awareness though tracking legislative, case law and news alerts using advanced legal, news and business databases.
- Attend and actively participate in practice group meetings, provide specialized updates and act as a point person for these groups.
- In cooperation with library management, coordinate and lead projects with colleagues across the Firm to provide innovative information services and products to support the information needs of the Firm and its clients.
- Guide and coach Library Technicians with ready reference.
- Maintain ongoing awareness of development and strong interest and aptitude in innovative online tools such as news aggregators, dashboards and content management platforms.
- Assist in the acquisition and evaluation of new and existing resources based on need, suitability and cost to ensure users have access to authoritative, accurate and usable resources to meet information needs
- Undertake special projects and other duties as assigned with enthusiasm.
What You Bring
- MLS, MLIS, MISt or MI degree from an ALA-accredited program or equivalent.
- 3 years of experience working in a law library conducting complex and varied legal and business research and solid experience in the design and delivery of research training.
- Superior knowledge of the law, legal systems and legal proceedings in Canada, the United States, Commonwealth and International jurisdictions.
- Expert knowledge of legal research methodology and resources and building expertise in using online legal and business research tools.
- Demonstrated understanding of methods of effective instruction and ability to teach in a variety of settings and formats with group and individual training.
- Excellent customer service and strong organizational and time management skills with the ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously and capacity to produce a high volume of work in a fast paced environment.
- A strong business acumen with excellent problem solving and decision making skills.
- Sound judgement, troubleshooting skills, ability to work in a high pressure environment and to embrace change.
- Excellent oral and written skills with attention to detail.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and also productively in a team environment with a desire to contribute creative ideas and solutions.
- Strong technical skills with the desire and skill to adapt to emerging technologies to enhance user services.
- Keen interest in driving continuous improvement and reviewing processes in order to adapt to the changing framework of library services and practices.
- Dependability and flexibility in terms of overtime and shift changes, with short notice.
- Proactive, positive attitude with strong interpersonal skills that permit you to work with a variety of stakeholders.
McMillan = You
Inclusion and diversity are essential elements of our culture at McMillan which coincides with our core values of respect, teamwork, commitment, client service and professional excellence. We are extremely proud to be one of Canada’s Top Employers for Young People three years in a row.
At McMillan, we know we will achieve the most success by attracting and retaining the best talent, and by representing and supporting communities from which we draw our members, the communities in which we live and work and the communities to which we provide legal services.
We are a law firm that prides itself in sustained quality and excellence in service while fostering a positive and collegial work environment which nurtures mentoring inspires enthusiasm and professional excellence. We commit to putting our best efforts forward in achieving our goals, and the goals of our clients. You can help us in that journey!
Need another reason to consider McMillan? Let’s work together to help you achieve your professional goals and career development.
Let’s get started
If this position is you, and you reside in or around the Vancouver area, we look forward to hearing from you. Please include a combined cover letter and resume when you apply. Apply Now!
McMillan is committed to providing accommodation for applicants with disabilities in its recruitment processes. If you require accommodation at any time during the recruitment process, please email us or contact us at 1.888.622.4624 to submit your accommodation request.
Closes: 14 February, 2020
Vancouver , BC