Okanagan College transforms lives and communities. We are one of Canada's leading colleges. We create outstanding educational experiences for our learners, both students and employees. We work and learn in a welcoming and caring culture. We are a catalyst for change through collaboration with our learners and partners. We serve, lead and anticipate the social, economic and environmental needs of communities.
Library Technician, Technical Services (Metadata)
Under the limited supervision of a librarian, coordinates and performs a variety of Technical Services duties, with a focus on Metadata. Collaborates with other Library Technicians in the areas of Systems, E-resources and Acquisitions to perform other Technical Services tasks. Provides reference service.
Education and Experience:
Completion of a 2-year Library Technician Diploma is required. A minimum of 2 years related library experience is required. Additional post-secondary education in a related field is an asset. Experience with the Ex Libris Voyager library system is an asset.
Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of automated library systems
- Proficiency with MS Office programs, particularly Word and Excel; working knowledge of MS Access is an asset
- Technical aptitude for learning new systems and software and propensity for lifelong learning to ensure technical currency
- Proficiency in the use of library-related technologies such as integrated library systems, e-book platforms and library databases
- Demonstrated understanding of bibliographic description and metadata standards and practices
- Knowledge of library reference processes, internet search techniques, and core reference tools
- Ability to work effectively and independently, with limited supervision, and as part of a team
- Must be flexible and able to manage a high work volume and conflicting priorities in order to meet deadlines
- Excellent organizational skills including demonstrated accuracy and the ability to pay attention to detail
Support - Regular Full-time
Appointment Start Date:
Monday to Friday from 8:00 am – 4:00 pm.
Annual Salary/Hourly Rate:
$43,018 - $49,156
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Please note: Shortlisted internal candidates must notify the current Support Staff Bargaining Chairperson and Human Resources if they want a Union Observer during interviews and final selection of candidates.
Posting Opening Date:
Posting Closing Date:
To apply for this position, please go to the following website: https://www.employmentopportunities.okanagan.bc.ca and complete an on-line application.