Dated: June 10, 2019, 8:30 am
Expires:June 19, 2019, 4:30 p.m.
LIBRARY TECHNICIAN – LAW
Bora Laskin Faculty of Law Library, Thunder Bay
COPE, Level 6
Competition # COPE-19-12
The Bora Laskin Faculty of Law Library seeks an energetic, service-oriented individual who is excited by the opportunity to support Lakehead University Library’s mission of providing exceptional services, collections and spaces. Reporting to the Law Librarian, the Library Technician-Law Is responsible for assisting students/faculty and encouraging an environment that is positive and helpful. As the primary point of contact, and through the consistent application of library procedures and policies, the Library Technician-Law will provide a high level of customer service and engagement.
Along with the Law Librarian, the Library Technician-Law will be involved with service planning and delivery at the Law Library. This will include taking into consideration the unique needs of Law students and faculty. The Library Technician-Law will guide them in the effective use of the Library’s legal resources, especially those related to our core mandates (Indigenous Law, Sole Practice Law, and Environmental Law).
In addition to meeting the specialized service needs of Law Library users, the successful incumbent will be responsible for the day-to-day operations of the Circulation Desk and Course Reserve Service of the Law Library and will participate in other areas of the Law Library’s services and operations. This includes tasks such as providing library tours and information literacy; updating loose-leaf subscriptions; training, scheduling, and approving payroll of part-time staff; ensuring the proper identification of mandate books by the label and in the system; technical assistance and collection maintenance.
• Library Technician Diploma
• 1 year of current and relevant library experience, preferably academic and including Circulation experience;
Other qualifications include:
• Superior customer service skills and ability to work with diverse populations using tact and cultural sensitivity;
• Effective reference interviewing skills;
• Adept and savvy at using and learning new technology to provide excellent customer service;
• Experience working with ILS and discovery systems;
• Advanced online database search skills, familiarity with Law databases and tools is an asset;
• Experience with a variety of software such as MS Office, Google tools, Windows, LibGuides (SpringShare);
• Strong communication, collaboration and teamwork skills;
• Experience working with law, or one or more of our core mandate subjects is an asset.
Interested applicants are invited to apply by submitting a single PDF document, quoting #COPE-19-12, containing a cover letter and resume by 4:30 p.m. on June 19, 2019 to:
Office of Human Resources
We appreciate your interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be notified.
Lakehead University is committed to creating a diverse and inclusive environment and welcomes applications from all qualified individuals including women, racialized persons, Indigenous people, persons with disabilities and other equity-seeking groups. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadian citizens and permanent residents will be given priority. This is in accordance with Canadian immigration requirements.
Lakehead University is committed to supporting an accessible environment. Applicants requiring accommodation during the interview process should contact the Office of Human Resources at (807) 343.8334 or email@example.com to make appropriate arrangements.