Makerspace Librarian Essex , ON
Essex County Library (ECL)
The Makerspace Librarian reports to the Manager, Information Technology Services. This position is responsible for providing setup, operational support, maintenance, and instructional support and administration of the Library’s Makerspace equipment. This role will provide community programming both in branch and offsite through use of the ECL MakerVan. This role provides direct technical support, training, and troubleshooting assistance to staff and the public for a wide range of technologies.
The Essex County Library will provide qualified applicants with disabilities reasonable accommodation during the interview process.
For further information, please follow the “Careers” link on our website at:
Apply by: February 5, 2022
Attention: Manager, Human Resources
by e-mail:email@example.com (Word or PDF document)
Reference: Job Posting 22-02
- develops and implements operating procedures and processes for Library Makerspace equipment
- installation and configuration of Makerspace software, hardware, and peripheral devices
- provides Makerspace-focused programming for patrons of all age groups
- teaches introductory courses on technology with a focus on Makerspace concepts
- upgrades, maintains, monitors, and supports third party applications as required
- researches and makes recommendations for technical features, enhancements, or changes to support betterment of operations
- contributes to the development and maintenance of library collections and resources to support community information needs
- creates documents and leads training sessions to assist staff and public in the use of technology and equipment
- provides excellent customer service to internal and external customers
- actively maintains skills and knowledge of emerging technology trends by participating in conferences, training, communication, and engagement with other professionals in the Library and/or IT community
- promotes a positive impression of the Essex County Library in all interactions
- actively participates in Library meetings, workshops and training sessions
- regularly reviews Essex County Library communications, policies and procedures
- other duties as required.
- maintains and keeps up-to-date technology inventory database and troubleshoots technical issues
Qualifications & Skills
- completion of a Master’s degree in Library and/or Information Science (MLIS/MIS) from an ALA recognized university
- completion of a post-secondary degree or diploma in Computer Science, Information Technology, Education or Library Science
- previous experience working in a Public Library setting
- demonstrated experience working with Makerspace concepts, equipment and technology, including but not limited to topics such as power tools, woodworking, crafting, sewing, soldering, electric circuits, 3D printing, small robotics, coding
- experience working with small IT teams with an ability to identify and implement innovative solutions
- proficiency for learning new concepts in a self-directed learning environment
- demonstrated proficiency working with business productivity software (Office 365)
- demonstrated experience related to training, documenting, maintaining Technology
- demonstrated customer service skills, effectively able to communicate technical issues to patrons and staff with varied levels of technical skill
- demonstrated experience in developing and delivering community-focused programs
- solid literacy skills (vocabulary, spelling and comprehension).
All employees will be required to complete their Health & Safety and other on-line mandatory training on or before their first day of employment; other training (including Health & Safety policies) may be required upon the start of employment.
Certifications, Memberships and Licenses
- preference given to candidates who have a membership with a professional Library association
Driver’s License/ Vehicle Requirements
Because this position will be required to travel, a valid Province of Ontario driver's license with a reliable motor vehicle is required.
Police Clearance Requirement
Because of the environment in which this position will be working, the successful candidate will be required to furnish an original Police Information Search (criminal reference check) (working with vulnerable persons) prior to commencement of employment.
Note: This job description is meant to describe the general nature and level of the work being performed; it is not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of the responsibilities, duties and skills required for the position
Closes: 5 February, 2022
Essex County Library
Essex , ON