Executive Director, Association of BC Public Library Directors Vancouver , BC
EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR, ASSOCIATION OF BC PUBLIC LIBRARY DIRECTORS
The Association of BC Public Library Directors (ABCPLD) is recruiting for a part-time Executive Director with strong leadership instincts. With the infrastructure, processes and staffing in place, the incoming Executive Director will have a solid foundation on which to build their ideas and initiatives.
ABCPLD is an executive association of the library directors who lead public libraries across British Columbia. ABCPLD also provides organized representation to both provincial and federal governments on behalf of library administration, representing the shared interests of public libraries’ leaders. ABCPLD hosts virtual and in person events for library directors to connect, generate ideas, and collaborate with one another. ABCPLD also provides professional development sessions on topics of high interest to the membership, and is responsible for the annual Award of Excellence to recognize outstanding leadership in library advocacy, innovation and contribution to the library community.
The Executive Director serves as the central point of contact for the organization and supports the purposes of the organization through planning, administration, communication, financial management and Board and community relations. The Executive Director works closely with the Board (made up of 3 BC library directors) and has 1 direct report: a part time Bookkeeping and Administrative Assistant who works 5 hours a week.
The Executive Director interacts with senior library executives, government representatives, elected officials and members of the library community, and adapts to a wide range of leadership styles and to diverse opinions, while moving the interests of public library directors forward.
- Serves as a central point of contact for the association and works with the Chair to assist in strategic planning, problem-solving, and completion of deliverables
- Manages and nurtures key relationships, including government representatives, partner organizations, and media
- Represents the organization at meetings with federal library partners including CFLA, provincial library partners including BCLA, BCLTA , BC Libraries Co-Op, and B.C. Library Federations throughout the year
- Plays a key role at the advocacy table with the BC Public Library Partners
- Plans, manages, and participates in external events such as UBCM
- Deploys an effective and thorough communication strategy to deliver and receive information to and from member libraries
- Develops communication materials to advance public library interests to provincial and local audiences
- Develops and manages the ABCPLD communications plan; managing all external communications to government, stakeholders and the public
- Conducts research, prepares surveys and analyzes data for communications, strategic planning, project planning, financial planning and administrative project plans
Operations and Project Management:
- Applies superior project management skills to define initiatives with limited starting information, create a plan, and execute it
- Demonstrates solid business acumen and competency in identifying, synthesizing, and analyzing complex information to brief the board
- Drives the creation of necessary strategic materials
- Recognizes, anticipates, and resolves organizational, operational or process challenges
- Plans and manages ABCPLD business meetings and professional development sessions
- Facilitates informal meetings of the membership for information sharing purposes
- Works with the Bookkeeper to ensure timely submission and management of Accounts payables and receivables
- Works with the Bookkeeper and Board Treasurer to develop annual budgets and reports
- The Executive Director evolves the position to meet the ongoing and changing needs of the organization
The Executive Director demonstrates:
- Leadership instincts to navigate change, problem solve, collaborate, and advance the organization
- Strong communication skills, oral and written
- Proven diplomacy and consensus building skills
- Effective project management skills
- Evidence-based, analytical decision maker with research and evaluation skills
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with a variety of internal and external contacts
- Ability to work with minimal supervision and to exercise initiative
- Experience in website content management
- Demonstrated leadership experience
- Knowledge of, and experience working in, the public library sector
- Reside in British Columbia
- Public Library Director experience would be an asset
- Government relations experience and knowledge of provincial practices preferred
- Experience working with associations/non-profits beneficial
This position is primarily a remote work position and applicants from across BC are encouraged to apply. Occasional travel within British Columbia at the organization’s expense may be required.
This position is part-time, approximately 14 hours a week with additional hours available based on project funding.
Starting Salary: $37,750 ($51.85/hour)
Thank you for applying. Please send in your cover letter and resume to email@example.com. The posting will remain open until filled. Applications will be reviewed as received, but only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Closes: 23 August, 2023
Association of BC Public Library Directors
Vancouver , BC