Community Supervisor - Temporary Full-Time (12-18 months) Essex , ON
ESSEX COUNTY LIBRARY
Job Posting Number: 21-23
Temporary Full-Time Community Supervisor
Temporary, limited term vacancy: (approximately12 -18 months) Includes, day, evening, weekend shifts, plus additional hours for programming and supply work.
Hours: This position is scheduled for 5 weekly regular shifts, 35 hours per week, comprised of morning, afternoon, evening, and weekend hours.
Wage: This is a temporary, full-time position - hourly wage $28.93
Deadline: October 30, 2021 at 12:00 pm (noon)
Apply To: Essex County Library
Attention: Manager, Human Resources
Mail: 360 Fairview Avenue West, Suite 101 – Essex, Ontario N8M 1Y3
NOTE: The interview process may include skills testing.
We thank all applicants, however, only those selected for an interview will be acknowledged. Personal information is collected in accordance with the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act and will be used for the purpose of this employment opportunity only.
The Essex County Library supports diversity in the workplace. Accessibility accommodations are available for all parts of the recruitment process. Applicants need to make their needs known in advance; please advise the interview coordinator of accommodation measures you may require. Information received relating to accommodation needs of applicants will be addressed confidentially.
A Security Clearance Check with Police Criminal Record Check (PCRC), Police Information Check (PIC) and Police Vulnerable Sector Check (PVSC) will be required for all employees and volunteers of the Essex County Library. Successful applicants must submit the Security Checks (dated within the last six months) at the time of employment.
JOB DESCRIPTION: COMMUNITY SUPERVISOR
It is the mission of the Essex County Library to welcome our patrons to a world of discovery, creativity and lifelong learning through accessible resources, programs and innovative services. We offer our services and resources to Essex County residents through 14 branch locations and an online service portal. (www.essexcountylibrary.ca )
The Community Supervisor will report to the Manager, Public/Community Services. The Community Supervisor assists with the monitoring of the daily operations of the community branch(es); provides collection development, reference and readers’ advisory at an advanced level; will regularly liaise with community partners and assist with the direction of community programming and outreach services.
- provides reference services through the efficient use of electronic databases, the Internet and print reference tools
- provides readers’ advisory services through an awareness of reading resources, reading trends and supporting patron preferences
- provides circulation services through the use of the Library’s ILS (Integrated Library System) SirsiDynix
- provides assistance with current and changing technology, including public access computers, mobile devices, wireless access, and basic troubleshooting of computer workstations
- contributes to the development and maintenance of library collections and resources to support community information needs
- seeks opportunities for partnerships to enhance community programming services
- regularly liases with municipal and community partners to support the development of service and information needs
- identifies and implements outreach opportunities to support the goals of the Essex County Library
- develops, initiates and participates in the delivery of programs, such as children’s, adult and outreach programming
- provides excellent customer service to internal and external customers
- effectively handles patron issues
- promotes a positive impression of the Essex County Library in all interactions
- assists the Manager, Community Services with marketing of library services through initiatives such as promotions, displays and media releases
- contributes to social media content to promote community resources and services
- prepares and presents reports as assigned by Manager
- analyzes statistics and reports on library and community trends
- assists with the development of procedures and guidelines
- monitors facilities and submits reports to Administration as required
- monitors the daily operations of site location(s)
- communicates effectively with branch staff to ensure that policies and procedures are understood
- interviews and hires Student Desk Clerks following the Essex County Library procedures
- advises, guides and trains staff in the delivery of library services
- models professional service skills that reflect the service delivery of the Essex County Library
- assists with the scheduling of staff within the community of branches
- mediates staff issues and effectively communicates concerns to Manager
- contributes to the performance evaluations of branch staff
- commmunicates concerns to Manager
- champions the Library’s mission, vision and values
- anticipates new trends and developments in the library field that would benefit service delivery
- actively participates in library meetings, workshops and training sessions
- leads and/or participates on project teams as assigned
- other duties as required
Qualifications & Skills
- Post Graduate degree in Master of Library and/or Information Sciences (MLIS, MIS) from an accredited University preferred
- Graduate/ Post Graduate education considered with public library experience
- minimum 3 years of library experience, preferably in a public library
- actively maintains professional skills by reading professional journals, attending conferences, participating in training and listservs and actively communicates with members of the professional library community
- strong information literacy skills
- strong problem solving skills that promote solution-based resolutions
- strong organizational skills
- ability to work independently, to be self-directed and proactive
- ability to coordinate and lead teams
- demonstrated customer service skills, effectively able to commuicate with and assist patrons of all ages
- demonstrated research skills using print and electronic reference tools
- demonstrated computer skills, including a proficiency in Word document software, library databases and Integrated Library System (SirsiDynix)
- demonstrated experience in developing and delivering community focused programs
- a broad-based reading background in a wide variety of genres and levels
- solid literacy skills (vocabulary, spelling and comprehension)
All employees will be required to complete their Health & Safety and other on-line mandatory training on or before their first day of employment; other training (including Health & Safety policies) may be required upon the start of employment.
Certifications, Memberships and Licenses
Membership with a professional Library association encouraged.
Driver’s License/ Vehicle Requirements
Because this position may be required to travel, a valid Province of Ontario driver's license with a reliable motor vehicle is preferred.
Police Clearance Requirement
Because of the environment in which this position will be working, the successful candidate will be required to furnish an original Police Vulnerable Sector Check (PVSC) prior to commencement of employment.
Note: This job description is meant to describe the general nature and level of the work being performed; it is not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of the responsibilities, duties and skills required for the position
Closes: 30 October, 2021
Essex County Library
Essex , ON