Youth Services Assistant Owen Sound , ON
OWEN SOUND & NORTH GREY UNION PUBLIC LIBRARY
requires a Youth Services Assistant (Full-Time) Posting #20-02
The Youth Services Assistant must be able to offer high quality customer service to library users, as well as perform responsible and varied paraprofessional library duties in the areas of circulation, youth and adult services. Library Assistants are often the first point of contact for library users and must provide excellent and enthusiastic customer service. Library Assistants may be asked to perform multiple, distinct roles and share tasks, so individuals in these positions must be comfortable with change and be team players.
- Present multiple weekly story time programs directed to the specific developmental needs of preschool children
- Conduct class visits and provide Library outreach to elementary schools
- Assist with programming for school age children, including, but not limited to March Break and summer vacation.
- Staff the Youth Services Information Desk providing exceptional customer service, reader’s advisory, reference assistance, and technical support.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Experience presenting programming for children
- Knowledge of children’s development
- Working knowledge of library services and procedures
- Intermediate reader's advisory experience or knowledge of board books, picture books and easy readers preferred
- Ability to understand the needs of library customers, specifically children, and connect them to the right resource or service at the right time
- Excellent interpersonal, teaching, presentation, training (one-on-one and small group), and communication skills
- Research and problem solving skills.
- Ability to learn and demonstrate library’s automated systems and self-service tools.
- Ability to help customers with their basic computer needs, including, but not limited to, e-mail, answering Microsoft product questions, and navigating the Internet.
- Ability to operate audio-visual equipment, smart phones, mobile devices, computer hardware and software, and quickly learn new databases and consumer devices including (and not limited to) e-readers, tablets and personal computers.
- Valid driver’s license required
- Post-secondary completed (ECE or Library Technician preferred)
Qualified individuals are encouraged to submit a cover letter and resume marked confidential, no later than Friday, August 7, 2020 at 5:00 pm to:
Nadia Danyluk, Deputy Chief Librarian
Owen Sound & North Grey Union Public Library,
824 1st Avenue West, Owen Sound ON N4K 4K4
Fax to : 519-376-7170
E-mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those being considered for an interview will be contacted. In accordance with the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act, personal information is collected under the authority of the Municipal Act, and will only be used for candidate selection. The Owen Sound & North Grey Union Public Library is an equal opportunity employer. Accommodation will be provided in accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act.
Closes: 7 August, 2020
Owen Sound & North Grey Union Public Library
Owen Sound , ON