Manager, Branches Hamilton , ON
$89,309.22 to $104,451.62 annual plus a comprehensive benefits package.
Start Date : As soon as possible
Schedule: 35 hours per week, permanent full time
- Manage the daily operations of the branch. Supervise the staff of the branch. Responsible for allocating, within service unit, staff and other resources to provide efficient and evolving service to customers.
- Continually evaluate and improve operational procedures, programs and services, to ensure efficient, customer-centered operations.
- Coordinate branch and individual work plans / workflow; establish priorities and direct staff effectively to support library objectives and priorities. Responsible for allocating, within the branch, staff and other resources to provide efficient and evolving service to customers.
- Ensure facility retains its appeal (from public and staff perspective) with furniture, equipment and building maintenance.Communicate and follow-up on building issues.
- Contribute to, and support, system-wide operational issues, committees and projects. Work with all library managers to implement a quality service approach to ensure the highest level of customer satisfaction.
- Act as a resource to staff in the measurement of service quality, customer satisfaction and the implementation of continuous improvement programs. Provide support and advice in business and strategic planning. Ensure that the approach to the development, delivery, evaluation and accountability of services reflects sound business practices.
- Responsible for meeting performance goals set in conjunction with the Director. Establish criteria and statistical measures; evaluate programs etc. on factual data; prepare reports regarding key issues, trends and changes.
- Provide staff direction and report regularly to senior management on matters relating to the performance of collection, staff and other relevant matters.
- Commit to, support and communicate systems values to staff.
- Administer the collective agreement within the assigned branch. Manage staff and staffing requirements including interviewing, recommendations for hiring, setting/prioritizing and measuring performance objectives and conducting regular performance reviews.
- Evaluate, plan and ensure the adequate training and career development for staff, within programs provided by the library system, including technological change.
- Manage, coordinate and participate in problem resolutions for existing programs. Provide after hour support in the event of major problems and act as primary contact to inform support departments about problem situations.
- Participate in community activities; identify and build on collaborative opportunities.
- Establish and maintain relations with community partners, stakeholders, managers and staff while responding to trends and public interests.
Develop and evaluate library services and operations
- Ensure that the public’s experience of the public library is positive. Continually assess the public’s needs/interests and work collaboratively with staff, Managers and Directors to develop responsive service strategies.
- Ensure that the approach to the development, delivery, evaluation and accountability of services reflects sound business practices.
- Respond to customer service comments and concerns and resolve customer complaints.
- Ensure that services such as information, readers’ advisory services, circulation and programs are appropriate, well-delivered, and that the intent and spirit of Library policies is understood and consistently applied. Ensure that the approach to the development, delivery, evaluation and accountability of services reflects sound business practices.
- Ensure collections are current, easy to use, well-maintained, and displayed appropriately in accordance with guidelines regarding collections maintenance and display.
- Contribute to the development and implementation of the Library’s Strategic Plan and related service plans. Adhere to systems standards.
- Acquire and analyze information; prepare reports and recommendations; assess services, support service changes and new program initiatives using relevant factual information.
- Maintain professional affiliations and involvement and keep skills and knowledge up-to-date.
- Alert management concerning issues or problems that may impact on system-wide decision making.
- Perform duties of a Librarian as required.
- Work with all library managers to adjust policy and guidelines to the changing corporate and technological environment. Ensures compliance with the Library’s Intellectual Freedom policy.
- Maintain knowledge of relevant legislation, policies, and professional issues including copyright law, Intellectual property, and censorship.
Budget and Planning
- Manage the branch budget ensuring that expenditures stay within annual budget allocations and alerting senior staff of forthcoming issues.
- Participate in reviews of the system Budget. Develop and maintain appropriate reporting mechanisms that provide information to senior management about the budget and the impact of budget decisions on library performance.
- Obtain quotes following the Purchasing Policy and make recommendations for purchase; act as liaison to Business (Finance) Office.
- Work with all library managers to develop and implement action plans to lower library costs and improve service.
- Perform other responsibilities as assigned which are directly related to the normal functions of this position with minimal supervision and direction.
- A Masters Degree in Information or Library Science, additional formal management courses an asset.
- A minimum of three to five years recent experience as a public librarian, demonstrating a customer-service orientation, a record of accomplishment, and a variety of work experiences.
- Self-directed, well organized, innovative, flexible, and collaborative; committed to intellectual freedom and other key principles of public librarianship; an open communicator who inspires trust and seeks and sparks creative contributions from others.
- Excellent leadership and management skills. The ability to challenge, lead and inspire others to excel.
- Excellent written, verbal and presentation skills.
- Excellent interpersonal, communication and conflict resolution skills.
- Self-starting, results-oriented individual with superior organizational skills.
- Skilled with group and team dynamics and possessing the ability to motivate, persuade and negotiate with diverse individual and groups.
- Skilled in the use of information management tools including Microsoft office suite, databases, internet/web etc.
- Knowledge of current trends and professional issues in public library services and management.
- Knowledge of, and experience with, providing, improving, and evaluating a range of branch library services such as information, reader’s advisory, outreach, programming, collection management and children’s services.
- Knowledge of, and experience with, the principles and methods of organizational administration such as staff supervision in a unionized environment, budgeting, communications and records management.
- Knowledge of, and experience with, the scheduling, monitoring and evaluation of multiple tasks, projects and priorities.
- Commitment to principles of intellectual freedom, inclusiveness, service excellence and the Library’s mission, values and goals.
Please be aware the selection process may involve any of interviews, test, and presentations or any combination thereof.
- The deadline for this application is 11:59pm January 31, 2020
- Please visit www.hpl.caand proceed to Jobs at HPL to apply through City of Hamilton recruiting site.
- Candidates proceeding to the formal interview process will also be required to submit a minimum of three (3) references as well as copies of proof of key qualifications (i.e. degrees, certifications, licences, driving abstract)
- Submission of references also stands as consent to obtain reference checks, personal or background checks and personnel file information as the Hamilton Public Library may require in connection with your employment. We respect the confidentiality of applicants and check references near the final stages of the selection process.
- The successful candidate will have to provide original proof of a Criminal Record and Judicial Matters Check. It is understood that the various checks referred are for employment purposes only and you agree that you will not hold any party liable for the information given or received.
- By submitting a resume, you are declaring that the information contained is true and complete to your knowledge. You understand that a false statement may disqualify you from employment, or cause your dismissal. We thank all applicants who apply and advise that only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
The Hamilton Public Library is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection processes.If contacted for an employment opportunity, please advise Human Resources if you require accommodation.
Closes: 31 January, 2020
Hamilton Public Library
Hamilton , ON