Library Assistant 1 KING CITY , ON
Job Posting – Library Assistant 1
3 Permanent Part-time Positions Available
King Township Public Library is a 4-branch system that serves a vibrant community of 25,000+ residents. Located in the GTA, King offers a unique blend of urban amenities and rural charm. We strive to offer the highest level of customer service excellence to our community through the provision of both traditional and progressive programs & services and a contemporary, innovative multi-format collection. We are proud of KTPL and the strides we have made to ensure the Library remains relevant and responsive to community needs.
The position we are posting for…
Library Assistants provide a range of front-line public service and support duties, promoting a welcoming and inviting library environment. Responsible for delivering services that meet the strategic direction set forth by the KTPL Board. Please click HERE to see the detailed Job Description for this position, outlining responsibilities, competencies, etc.
The people we are looking for…
- enjoy working with people and creating unique and meaningful interactions with our community and users. At the front desk or roving out on the floor, your natural inclination is to build relationships.
- are responsive to the diverse needs of our growing community. Your creative problem solving skills mean you can offer users solutions by recommending titles, programs, services and experiences.
- whose constantly evolving technical skills, paired with a helpful attitude, allows you to assist users with the use of devices, information resources, as well as various service applications and web-based platforms.
- will enthusiastically support the development and delivery of programs for users of all ages, both within the libraries, as well as out in the community through outreach activities at local events/festivals/fairs and through service group partners.
- are comfortable working in an organizational structure in which there are multiple reporting relationships. This position reports to the Branch Services Coordinator, but also supports the Manager of Community Engagement & Marketing and other members of the management team. You are able to adapt to different communication styles, professionally deal with disagreements and balance multiple priorities.
- will effortlessly integrate into our dynamic, fast-paced, collaborative environment that thrives on a team approach for generating and implementing ideas
- are comfortable diffusing challenging situations users may present (albeit infrequently) in attitude or situation in a calm, polite and professional manner, but can also recognize when it is appropriate to escalate the situation.
Ideal candidates’ qualifications include:
- Secondary school diploma or equivalent. Accreditation, post-secondary diploma or degree in library/information sciences an asset and preferred.
- 2 years experience in public service or a library environment. Your previous experience working in a public library environment and your familiarity with automated library systems, collection maintenance, online databases, adult programming, social and creative media, and maker culture is an asset.
- Fluency in English (verbal, writing and reading).
- A current driver’s license and valid insurance as well as a reliable vehicle that will enable you to work at all four of the KTPL system’s branches or at community venues within the Township.
- Availability to work flexible hours including evenings, Saturdays and the occasional Sunday.
This position involves standing for extended periods, computer and electronic device usage, and occasional light physical exertion, which includes pulling, stretching, reaching, bending, lifting up to 30 lbs and carrying materials, boxes and equipment. KTPL is committed to promoting the independence, dignity, integration, and equality of opportunity of persons with disabilities by ensuring the accessibility of our facilities and services. Accommodations are available for all parts of the recruitment and selection process. Applicants need to make required accommodations known in advance.
Three positions are available. Please click HERE for details on the shift schedule for each available
position – Shift 1, 2 & 3. Please identify the specific shift(s) you are interested in on your cover letter.
Application Deadline: Friday, February 22, 2019
Please e-mail your cover letter and resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org
We thank all who apply but only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Closes: 22 February, 2019
KING TOWNSHIP PUBLIC LIBRARY
KING CITY , ON