WOODSTOCK PUBLIC LIBRARY
INTERNAL/EXTERNAL JOB POSTING 2021-09
INFORMATION SERVICES & CATALOGUING SPECIALIST
FULL-TIME (TEMPORARY UP TO 12 MONTHS)
DATE: September 14, 2021
JOB TITLE: Information Services & Cataloguing Specialist
HOURS OF WORK: up to 35 hours a week
Schedule is subject to change and is not negotiable.
May include evenings, Saturdays and Sundays
NATURE OF POSITION: Reporting to the Manager of Operations, the Information Services & Cataloguing Specialist catalogues library materials, performs tasks and projects associated with the cataloguing and processing of library materials, and performs public service duties on the Reference/Information Desks.
1. Master in Library and Information Science (MLIS) or undergraduate degree with Library and Information Technician diploma.
2. Two years cataloguing and reference experience.
3. Recent cataloguing experience using Resource Description and Access (RDA), Library of Congress Subject Headings (LCSH), Dewey Decimal Classification (DDC), Anglo-American Cataloguing Rules (AACR2), the Online Computer Library Centre (OCLC) and MARC records.
4. Knowledge of print and electronic information services and resources.
5. Accuracy and attention to detail.
6. Proven critical thinking skills.
7. Excellent interpersonal, customer service, and communication skills.
8. Experience cataloguing within an integrated library system.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Responsible for creating original and copy cataloguing records for all formats of library materials to facilitate their identification, access and use.
2. Answers requests from the public for information and reference utilizing the resources of the Woodstock Public Library.
3. Interpret and apply LCSH, the DDC, the AACR2, RDA and the Online Computer Library Centre (OCLC) information in cataloguing and classifying library materials.
4. Selects, requests and utilizes resources available through interlibrary loan to answer requests from the public and reference as appropriate.
5. Maintain authority records and perform needed authority work in the database.
6. Identify system-wide collection opportunities and issues (e.g. cataloguing errors/inconsistencies) and recommend solutions/improvements.
7. Responsible for loading MARC record files, making necessary batch modifications to the files prior to loading.
8. Operates equipment including photocopiers, microfilm readers and printers, personal computers and peripheral devices.
9. Performs some circulation functions including placing holds, updating PINs and account status.
10. Instruct the public in the use of library resources, facilities and equipment.
11. Research and identify best practices, cataloguing trends, related technology and makes appropriate recommendations.
12. Document, review and update cataloguing specifications for all formats, in consultation with the supervisor.
13. Other duties as assigned.
Usual office environment. Frequent contact with the public. Moderate physical effort required including handling of materials of moderate weight; pushing and pulling of carts.
SALARY RATE AND RANGE: $34.96/hr to $38.23/hr (2020 rates)
REPORTS TO: Manager of Operations
APPLICATION DEADLINE: September 22 at 4:00 pm
This is a bargaining unit position CUPE Local 1146-Library Unit. Library Unit employees will first be given consideration for this vacancy followed by other applicants.
Interested persons are requested to submit a resume and covering letter to:
Manager of Operations
Woodstock Public Library
445 Hunter Street
Woodstock ON N4S 4G7
Applications will be accepted up until Wednesday, September 22 at 4:00 pm. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted. The successful candidate will be required to provide a vulnerable sector screening check.
Personal information is collected in accordance with the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Personal Privacy Act.
The Woodstock Public Library Board is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.