Library Assistant- Public and Digital Services Flesherton , ON
The Grey Highlands Public Library is a Four Branch Library System (3 physical sites and virtual branch) located in the heart of Grey County in rural Ontario.Our mission: Connect, Explore and Learn helps us to focus on providing creative and innovative library service to meet the needs of community members of all ages.
PURPOSE OF POSITION
The Library Assistant for Public and Digital Services is welcoming and proactive in the provision of library services that includes Community Programming and Outreach, support of Digital Services and Technology training and support for staff and the public. This person informs patrons about the range of library services they can access and reaches out in the community to build and maintain relationships.
Reporting to the CEO, the Library Assistant provides Adult programming, supports Child/Youth Programming, supports services such as website maintenance, social media communications, ILS management, Promotions and technology training /support of staff and the public.
- Supports the Digital Services Manager to provide:
- community development and outreach regarding digital library services.
- digital and technical support and training to staff
- promotional material related to digital services and virtual spaces.
- promotion and marketing of programs, through print and electronic media (posters, website, social media, mainstream media) in coordination with the CEO and other staff
- development and maintenance of the library website and all other social media accounts
- Act as back-up support in the absence of the Digital Services Manager
- Work in tandem with CEO and Branch Managers on the development, delivery, and evaluation of programs, outreach, and partnership opportunities with organizations, groups, agencies, businesses and other stakeholders to increase the use of library resources and services in response to the current and future needs of the community
- Collaborate with the CEO with planning and delivery of a variety of adult programs and activities to encourage the use of the library, including: author readings, reading speakers, reading clubs, and other special events
- Acts as back-up to Library Assistant for Children and Youth Services
- Delivers circulation and information, reference and reader’s advisory services to the public
- Prepares statistics and reports as required
- Participates in staff meetings and committees as assigned
- Performs other duties as assigned
- Library Orientation at each facility including Health and Safety, Confidentiality etc.
- Staff meetings
- Attend seminars/workshops including necessary training to stay current with technology/databases/software required to perform duties of the job
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS
Education and Experience:
- Post-secondary school University Degree or College Diploma in Library Studies(i.e. Library Technician Diploma or approved equivalent combination of education and experience)
- 1-2 years of relative experience
- Experience with development of websites and social media
- Experience with computers/ other technology tools
- Ability to transfer digital content such as eBooks to eReaders, tablets, etc. and to assist and teach patrons to do the same
- Demonstrated experience with planning and delivering programs for all ages (babies, toddlers, youth, seniors) in a public library setting.
- Proven excellence in customer service; aptitude for problem solving; flexible
- Excellent organizational skills with attention to detail and accuracy
- Displays excellent interpersonal and team-oriented workplace skills
- Demonstrated expertise with a wide range of social networking tools and technology, and best practices for their use by libraries.
- Excellent public relations skills, tact, resourcefulness, flexibility and the ability to perform in challenging situations and as part of a team, with an emphasis on customer service and technology
- Excellent command of the English language, spoken and written
- Communicate effectively with others, orally and in writing
- Excellent creative thinking, problem solving abilities, leadership and management skills.
- Ability to communicate technical and complex information to non-technical audience both in oral and written form
- Work independently and collaboratively
- Ability to communicate with library staff and partner organizations
- Excellent research skills
- Adheres to all legislation, policies and procedures applicable to the position (e.g. Health and Safety, Human Rights, library policies.)
- May be required to work evening/weekends and must be willing to work at all branches.
- May work alone.
- Extended periods of computer use
- Extended periods of interaction with individuals
- Often works in full public view.
- May have to deal with difficult issues and/or confrontational patrons
- May be required to lift/carry boxes of books (max. 30 lbs), transport courier bins from one branch to another, and assist with moving of shelves.
- Occasionally required to shovel snow from walkways and exits.
Communication with internal and external individuals is regular in this position.Internally, this includes other library employees, Board Directors, and branch volunteers.Externally, this includes: the general public, community groups, schools, other.
Hours- 30 hours per week. Benefits.
APPLICATIONS:Please submit applications to:email@example.com Subject:Library Assistant- Public and Digital Services
The Grey Highlands Public Library is an equal opportunity employer and is pleased to accommodate individual needs in accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005 (AODA) within our recruitment process upon request. If you require accommodation at any time throughout the recruitment process please send request to:firstname.lastname@example.org
A Security Clearance Check with Vulnerable Sector Screening will be required for all (dated within the last six months) prior to or on the first day of employment.
The Grey Highlands Public Library endeavours to provide a safe environment for all its employees. We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those candidates considered for an interview will be contacted.
Closes: 19 March, 2021
Grey Highlands Public Library
Flesherton , ON