Library Technician REGINA , SK
Integrity. Transparency. Inclusive. Innovative.
The Law Society of Saskatchewan (LSS) regulates lawyers, the practice of law, and the provision of legal services in the province. The LSS serves the public interest and advances the administration of justice by regulating the competence and integrity of the practice of law in a ﬂexible and innovative manner, ensuring the independence of the legal profession, and promoting access to justice.
Do you have a passion for providing excellent information services and desire to reimagine what the law library could be? If so, the Law Society of Saskatchewan has an opening on its team for a permanent Library Technician in Saskatoon.
The opportunity: Library Technician
Under the direction of the Librarian, the Library Technician participates in the daily workflow of the Saskatoon library branch, as well as the effective and efficient operations of the Legal Resources department. The Library Technician is part of a team dedicated to providing timely, relevant, high quality, technical legal information services to lawyers, law students, and the public. The Library Technician participates in the implementation of new services or service changes within the Law Society through project and team assignments.
What you will do:
As a member of our team, you will provide a range of information, reference and technical services for the Law Society to meet the needs of its clients. Strong cataloguing skills with superior knowledge of Ex Libris, Alma or another ILS system are a must. Your responsibilities will include:
- Provide effective and efficient use of resources to support organizational objectives and plans.
- Deliver library programs and services both in the branch and in the community.
- Provide and deliver high quality technical service including:
- providing Law Society members with assistance in the use of the libraries’ collection, website, online catalogues and external databases;
- providing members of the public with assistance in finding available resources;
- checking books into and out of Alma (ILS)
- keeping track of non-member borrowing and inter-library loans
- monitoring and facilitating requests through Alma
- facilitating recalls of borrowed material
- facilitating item holds
- creating and editing bibliographical records using MaRC in accordance with RDA Standard
- adding items and holdings for physical material and portfolios for electronic material
- withdrawing items for weeded, lost material and changing holdings for moved items
- updating the Law Society’s legal resources databases.
- Assist with the development or enhancement of the Library’s visibility and reputation within the assigned community. With direction from the Research Librarian, initiate and develop collaborative relationships with outside organizations and community partners to cultivate an understanding of and appropriate library response to community needs.
- Assist with the recommendation, implementation, evaluation, and support effective and efficient community-focused services (e.g., collections, programming, and customer service)
- Maintains the ILSs, Alma and Primo (calendars, configuration, etc).
- Work with the Research Librarian to implement and evaluate all new services and significant service changes.
- Contribute to system wide initiatives by: participating in planning and cooperative delivery of library services throughout LSS through meetings and discussions.
- Perform related work, including participation on teams as assigned.
What you bring to the table:
- A recognized post-secondary Library Technician Diploma. Consideration will be given to candidates graduating in the spring of 2020.
- Commitment to model, and deliver consistent, high quality technical service.
- Ability to establish and maintain positive working relationships with the public, staff, external agencies, and to work as a member of a team.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Experience with computers and mobile devices, MS Office, and social software applications. Proficient in the use of related technology.
- Demonstrated ability to assume responsibility, and perform duties requiring independent judgement, initiative, and discretion.
- Effective analytical skills, and problem-solving ability, including the ability to evaluate, assess, and problem-solve using logical fact-based reasoning.
What you will receive:
- A competitive salary and an excellent benefits package to support your continued health and well-being including a Wellness/Flexible Benefits Account.
- Personal development.
- Vacation with additional days off to disconnect from work to manage life’s many demands.
- A workplace that treats you like family.
- Meaningful work that will culminate in a process which will be of great use and benefit to the Law Society, its members and the general public.
Apply on-line by 4:30 p.m., Wednesday, August 12, 2020 at https://lawsocietysk.bamboohr.com/jobs/view.php?id=7
Include the following in your application:
- Cover letter and resume outlining how you meet the requirements for the position.
- Three professional references.
- Answer the questions within the application; i.e., salary expected, date available, etc.
We thank all applicants for their interest. We will contact the shortlisted applicants for interviews. Candidates must be eligible to work in Canada. The successful candidate shall be subject to a Criminal Record Check as a condition of employment.
If you have questions, contact Laurie Johnson at firstname.lastname@example.org
Closes: 12 August, 2020
Law Society of Saskatchewan
REGINA , SK