Community Librarian (Temporary position for 10 months) Markham , ON
Job Posting # 2019-75
Job Type: Contract
Hour: 35 hours per week on average
Number of openings: 1
Posting Date: November 5, 2019
Closing Date: November 23, 2019 by 4:30 p.m.
Applications are now being received for the above temporary position in the Service Development Department with Markham Public Library. This position is currently located at the Administration Centre. (Note: Work location is subject to change.)
Vision for the Position
The work of the community librarians provides a strategic and integrated approach to MPL’s partnership development, community engagement and programming. The community librarians, through their work with community groups, individuals and organizations, help position MPL as a place where residents can come to participate in programs, discussions and dialogue on community issues. They provide residents with information and opportunities that allow them to fully participate in the community.
By building relationships with individuals as well as with community associations, organizations and businesses they will deepen MPL’s understanding of Markham’s many communities and neighbourhoods ensuring we continue to remain relevant. Community Librarians will work to create a bridge to and among community organizations and residents reinforcing the library’s role in creating a liveable and sustainable Markham and positioning the library as a powerful asset to community planning and community improvement.
- Represents MPL’s interests with community groups and other organizations. Actively pursues opportunities in the community to achieve the library’s strategic vision and goals.
- Works with external stakeholders and on community projects that are aligned with MPL’s mandate with respect to community development and customer service.
- Works with community members, community service providers and local citizens’ groups to identify and address their literacy and library service needs. Raises awareness of the library’s services.
- Actively promotes the library’s vision when meeting with external stakeholders and community organizations/interest groups. Is an advocate for the library and represents MPL at community-based citizens’ meetings and other such events.
- Facilitates community focus groups and participates in public consultation meetings hosted by the library as required.
- Prepares reports on community development activities and opportunities arising from emerging community trends. Develops strategies to address the impact of trends on the community.
- Represents MPL on community advisory boards and at other community engagement opportunities.
- Seeks opportunities to partner with community-based businesses and organizations to develop and deliver new library services and programs.
- Utilizes social media and other communication technology to engage with customers on behalf of MPL.
- Develops and delivers services to Markham residents beyond the library branches.
- Plans, organizes, implements and evaluates community events on behalf of the library. Delivers special event programs in the branches and represents the library at community events.
- Coordinates with staff to engage customers in library service development. Coordinates efforts to gather feedback and input from community groups.
- Creates community-based programs. Develops services that will be implemented by branch or other system staff. Effectively coaches branch staff on the delivery of these services.
Outreach & Promotions
- Assists with the implementation of MPL’s outreach strategy. Develops content and delivers outreach programs to schools, local business and other organizations. Uses outreach opportunities to engage customers in library services.
- Attends and participates in community events to promote the library to the community and other stakeholders.
- Communicates regularly with branch staff in order to ensure awareness and support for Community Engagement strategies and services.
- In the absence of the Manager, Marketing & Community Development, assumes responsibility for communication and coordination of department activities.
- Assists in other departments and areas as required.
- Performs other duties as required.
- Masters Degree in Library Science or equivalent from an ALA accredited faculty of Library / Information Science.
- Minimum of 1 year related library experience.
- Experience in advocacy, community engagement, public relations or marketing.
- Must have a valid driver’s license and access to a vehicle.
a condition of employment, the successful candidate will be required to provide
a satisfactory Vulnerable Sector Screening check.
- Excellent customer service skills. The ability to work with a diverse group of customers, who may range in age, skill level, and interests.
- Ability to communicate in one of the dominant languages of the Markham community (in addition to English) would be an asset.
- Exceptional communication skills, including superior public speaking skills and experience, and the ability to write effective, persuasive reports.
- Exceptional networking and relationship-building skills required.
- Excellent creativity, strategic thinking and problem solving skills. The ability to develop appropriate service solutions to provide a satisfying and timely response to customer needs.
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple priorities and to work to tight deadlines. Ability to manage a high volume of work is necessary.
- Ability to work weekends and evenings as required to attend community events and/or support branch operational requirements.
Anticipates Customer Needs
Leads Others, Without Authority
Manages Multiple Priorities
Engages the Community
Inspires Accountability and Teamwork
Workplace Health and Safety
This position shall:
Learn the Occupational Health and Safety Act, the Board’s Health and Safety Policy and program, and observe and comply with health and safety regulations and procedures.
- Report health and safety hazards, incidents of infractions of the regulations to the immediate supervisor.
- Use, wear and care for protective devices, clothing and safety equipment provided by the Board for personal protection.
- Bring suggestions for the correction of occupational health or safety hazards to the attention of the immediate supervisor.
Please note that Markham Public Library is open 7 days per week, and regular weekend work is required.
All interested candidates are asked to submit a resume and covering letter indicating how they meet the qualifications of the position to:
Please quote the job posting # 2019-75 in the subject line.
Markham Public Library
6031 Highway # 7
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Closes: 23 November, 2019
Markham Public Library
Markham , ON