Branch Librarian (Temporary) Markham , ON
Branch Librarian (Temporary Position for 11 months)
Job Posting # 2019-68
Job Type: Union Full-time (Temporary)
Hour: 35 hours per week on average
Number of openings:1
Salary: $ 41.60 per hour
Posting Date: October 9, 2019
Closing Date: October 25, 2019 by 4:30 p.m.
Applications are now being received for the above position in the Service Delivery Department with Markham Public Library. This position is currently located at the Unionville Library.
VISION FOR THE POSITION
The Branch Librarian is responsible for coordinating daily information service operations in the branch. They are a dedicated, passionate library professional, committed to providing exceptional services. He/she leads the information services team in creating an outstanding customer experience. They enjoy working with customers and have a collaborative approach to work that inspires accountability and enthusiasm amongst other members of the branch team.
The Branch Librarian has a passion for literacy and literature and uses their enthusiasm to motivate staff and customers to develop their own passion for reading and the library. The Branch Librarian oversees the collection development program for their branch. They have professional knowledge of collection management and work with the information services team to ensure their branch’s collection reflects MPL’s standards and meets customers’ needs.
The Branch Librarian is skilled at interpersonal skills, is able to manage multiple priorities effectively, has strong coaching skills to work with staff and is able to remain attentive to detail while simultaneously framing their work and that of their team in the context of the Library’s vision.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Leadership and Departmental Oversight
- Coordinates the daily information service activities of the branch. Creates daily schedules for his/her department outlining the rotation of duties and ensuring coverage for daily branch activities.
- Facilitates effective communication among the branch’s information service team. Keeps staff informed as to branch performance, customer issues, library policies and procedures and other critical operational information. Conducts regular department meetings with staff and keeps manager informed as to relevant departmental information.
- Represents the branch for system-level service implementation projects. Coordinates service or work processes improvement initiatives at the branch level.
- Provides supervision, coaching and feedback to Information Services staff. Coaches staff on the Customer Service Revolution service standards, as well as reference, readers’ advisory, technical support and other information services. Facilitates excellent teamwork among the members of the Information Services department.
- Provides feedback to manager on department staff performance including their customer service skills, attendance and punctuality, communication, technical knowledge, job knowledge and information services skills.
- Ensures the information service team utilizes established procedures and standards in the delivery of customer service in the branch. Role models expected behaviour and coaches staff on service delivery techniques and MPL’s service standards.
- Ensures that the branch is maintained according to MPL’s standards for comfort, cleanliness and attractiveness. Takes appropriate action to resolve issues related to the functioning and/or presentation of the branch, furniture, equipment and other physical assets.
- Provides proactive customer service to library customers. Is fully cross-trained on all customer service functions in the branch and is able to assist customers with a wide range of inquiries and services.
- Provides seamless service to customers by assisting them through each stage of their library visit, including greeting, research and reference inquiries, technical support on MPL resources, or other requests.
- Is responsible for customer service issue resolution, including escalated issues related to library services, policies, procedures, collections or facilities. Takes appropriate action to resolve issues effectively and ensures the manager and staff are informed of issues as required.
- Seeks opportunities to solicit customer feedback. Ensures that feedback is followed up appropriately. Leverages customer feedback to train and develop the branch staff, and their peers across the system.
- Provides in-depth reference assistance to customers. Performs research using internal and external resources in order to satisfy the information needs of customers, including internal and external library stakeholders.
- Demonstrates strong expertise in the areas of reference and readers’ advisory services. Maintains an excellent working knowledge of the library’s collections, including online databases, and other community information.Has a strong knowledge of different genres and general trends in literature and literacy.
responsible for supervising the branch’s collection development program.
Delegates responsibilities for weeding and profile development as well as
ongoing collection analysis to Information Services staff, and ensures that all
related targets for collection management are met.
branch profiles are developed to standard on a regular basis.
on behalf of his/her branch in system collection development activities,
including Collections Steering committee.
Contributes to MPL’s
- Contributes to the achievement of MPL’s strategic vision by leading service development projects designed to meet customer needs through innovative and effective solutions.
- Promotes a healthy and safe work environment by ensuring staff adhere to standards established in MPL’s procedures and the expectations laid out in the Occupational Health and Safety Act. Promptly follows-up with the Manager on any issues, deficiencies or potential workplace hazards.
- Represents the library on internal and external committees and advisory boards as required. Maintains active membership and participation in industry associations.
- Inputs and monitors the branch’s monthly statistics and performance measures. Prepares monthly department reports for the Manager outlining branch accomplishments and other performance factors.
- Provides assistance in all branch departments as required,
- Assumes responsibility for branch operations in the absence of the manager.
- Performs other related duties, as required.
- Master’s Degree in Library Science or equivalent from an ALA accredited faculty of Library/Information Science.
- Minimum of 1 year previous library experience, preferably in a public library.
- Minimum of 1 year previous supervisory experience.
- As a condition of employment, the successful candidate will be required to provide a satisfactory Vulnerable Sector Screening check.
- Experience in collection development processes, including collection analysis and collection profile development.
- Knowledge of and commitment to the Library’s Strategic Plan.
- Strong demonstrated interpersonal skills and leadership capabilities.
- Demonstrated commitment to quality and to providing customers with an exceptional service experience.
- Strong demonstrated success achieving individual or team performance targets.
- Demonstrated ability to coach and motivate staff.
- Demonstrated ability to exercise effective and appropriate judgment and independent decision-making.
- Excellent oral and written communications skills.
- Creates the Customer Experience
- Builds Relationships with Customers
- Exceeds Customer Expectations
- Embraces the Strategic Vision
- Creates Solutions
- Manages Difficult Conversations
- Seeks Understanding
- Coaches and Mentors
Workplace Health and Safety
Supervisory personnel shall:
- Familiarize themselves with the health and safety program, applicable health and safety legislation and ensure effective application and compliance within their jurisdiction.
- Ensure employees receive adequate training to protect their health and safety.
- Be knowledgeable of hazards or potential hazards in workplaces under their control.
- Ensure hazards, which put employees in imminent danger, are addressed promptly.
- Ensure all accidents and incidents are investigated promptly and all reports are completed.
- Take action to correct deficiencies.
Please note that Markham Public Library is open 7 days per week, and regular weekend work is required.Employees hired after December 20, 2004 have a work week that extends from Monday to Sundays.
All interested candidates are asked to submit a resume and covering letter indicating how they meet the qualifications of the position to:
E-mail:firstname.lastname@example.org Please quote the job posting # 2019-68 in the subject line when applying.
Markham Public Library
6031 Highway # 7
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Closes: 25 October, 2019
Markham Public Library
Markham , ON