Director, Parkland Regional Library Yorkton , SK
Out of Scope
Executive Board – Parkland Regional Library, Yorkton, Saskatchewan
S/he is the general manager of the Regional Library and as such, must be knowledgeable and experienced in all aspects of public library service and public library management.S/he is directly responsible to the Board and Executive of the Regional Library, acts as Secretary to all Board and Executive Committees, and is fully responsible for the implementation of all policies, procedures and regulations. S/he supervises Parkland Regional Library Headquarter staff and the Chief Librarian at Yorkton Public Library and supervises the rural branch staff.S/he relates laterally to all other staff at Headquarters and communicates with other library staff in the province.S/he interacts with the Parkland Regional Library Executive Board, Parkland Regional Library Board, with local library boards, municipalities, First Nation Band Councils, and other community organizations.S/he collaborates with other regions’ headquarters staff, various committees, professional librarians and staff at Provincial Library as well as the SILS office.S/he interacts with groups, agencies, school boards, government departments, vendors, and the general public.S/he is required to exercise initiative in determining the sequence in which tasks are to be performed and the work methods employed.S/he ensures that organizational goals and objectives are met through the supervision of personnel, and/or provision of direct services in assigned functional areas. S/he recruits, hires, trains, evaluates and disciplines staff. S/he is responsible for collections management. S/he is expected to sustain currency in library trends, issues, and technology through continuous learning and involvement in professional library associations.
- The Regional Librarian is responsible for planning and implementation of all new programs, subject to Board approval, and for the development and review of long-range plans for the library system.
- The Regional Librarian maintains contact and a positive working relationship with Federal, Provincial and Municipal levels of government in order to interpret regional library policy according to existing legislation and the related programs and initiatives of government agencies and departments.
- The Regional Librarian, with the assistance of the Executive and subject to the approval of the Board, is responsible for the total financial management of the Regional Library and for the preparation and review of the budget process.
- The Regional Librarian is responsible for all matters relating to the staffing needs of the regional headquarters and branches, including the preparation of job descriptions, interviewing, staff evaluation, hiring and firing, benefits and working conditions.As Secretary to the Board and Executive Committee, the Regional Librarian acts in an advisory capacity in all matters relating to union negotiations, the preparation of wage and salary proposals, and is the normal liaison between the Executive and the Staff.
- Working within the general framework of Regional Library goals and objectives, the Regional Librarian maintains a close working relationship with the media, service clubs and organizations, education and cultural associations and institutions and municipal councils.
Secretary to the Board
- The Regional Librarian acts as Secretary to the Board and Executive Committee and to all standing and special committees established by the Board.The Regional Librarian is responsible for the organization of, and preparation for, all meetings of the Board and Executive Committee and for the requisite communications and records of those meetings
- A Master’s Degree in Library Science from an ALA-accredited library school
- Progressively responsible library experience in the operations and supervision of staff or branches gained through 5 years or more of professional library work.
- A thorough knowledge of library methodologies, research, reference sources, procedures, techniques and trends, administration and supervision, and collection development.
- The ability to explain things to people through effective verbal and written communication skills. Proven ability in the areas of written and verbal communication.
- Ability to exercise independent judgment in all aspects of decision making.
- Thorough knowledge of the philosophy of public library service in Saskatchewan and a current awareness of public library developments in other jurisdictions.
- Thorough knowledge of the pertinent library legislation and the ability to interpret such legislation accurately and consistently.
- Familiarity with the established procedures and processes of local and provincial governments.
- Thorough knowledge of the theory and practice of public library service and working experience in the area of library administration.
- Ability to establish and maintain a positive and effective working relationship with staff, the Board, and a wide variety of contacts within the regional and provincial community.
- Familiarity with library services software such as Polaris
§Analytical skills and the ability to be insightful and creative in response to new opportunities and problems.
§Ability to exercise initiative and independent judgment.
- Excellent research skills
- Strong customer service and troubleshooting skills
- Computer literate, including effective working skills such as MS Word, Exce, internetl and e-mail
- Ability to maintain and manage vendor relationships
- Professional appearance and deportment
- Ability to make presentations
- Current awareness and knowledge of cultural and social trends.
- Acceptable criminal record check
Desirable Skills and Abilities
- Experience with collection development, reference and programming
- Experience in library administration with increasing responsibility in the areas of budget, personnel and program development.
- Experience managing staff
- Experience serving or working with boards or municipalities or band councils
- Progressive work experience in a public library setting
Salary: $85,000.00 - $105,000.00 plus excellent benefits and MEPP pension plan.
Please apply to: email@example.com
Position will remain open until filled.
Closes: 25 November, 2019
Parkland Regional Library
Yorkton , SK