Technician-Library Learning Commons - ON-CALL Saanichtion , BC
Technician- Library Learning Commons On Call
Hours per week:
Up to 27.5 hour per week
As soon as possible
Driven by our desire to help students thrive in their academic and personal lives, the Saanich School District provides quality educational programs and a safe and nurturing learning environment for the over 7,000 culturally diverse students within its 18 schools. Serving the Saanich Peninsula located just north of Victoria, BC, the district has one of the highest graduation rates in the province and a student body that consistently scores well on annual assessment tests, thanks in large part to the dedication and efforts of our 900 teaching and support staff.
Under limited direction of a Teacher Librarian or School Administrator, coordinates and maintains all technical aspects of a school Library Learning Commons and supports the programs and strategic directions of the school Library Learning Commons.
- Supports the Teacher Librarian in assisting all students, including those with special needs, in carrying out their educational plans
- Supports the Teacher Librarian in assisting students using assistive technologies to help them access information for their inquiries
- Assists in the maintenance and development of the Library Learning Commons web page
- Assists in the development of appropriate promotional and marketing strategies which may include the design and production of static and electronic posters, bulletin boards, or displays to advertise library events
- Supports the Teacher Librarian with grant applications or other fundraising opportunities
- Assists staff and students in the use of e-resources, digital media, online databases, digital equipment, and other audio visual equipment
- Maintains and circulates audio-visual and digital equipment
- Evaluates and recommends new technologies and hardware
- Uses standard library practices in accordance with accounting, acquisition and processing procedures
- Organizes and maintains the collection organization including filing, shelving, and inventory
- Organizes and maintains the circulation and repair of learning resources
- Produces original and copy cataloguing using the Dewey Decimal Classification system and Sears Subject Headings in library software
- Assists in performing basic collection development and reader guidance services including a needs analysis, collection assessment, and de-selection
- Monitors and assists students in the Library Learning Commons
- Recruits, monitors and assists volunteers and student assistants
- Assists, advises and directs staff and students to appropriate materials
- Performs routine clerical and technical tasks
- Liaises with other library support staff, school and district IT staff and software developer
- Monitors and ensures all library resources are in the software database
- Repairs and maintains learning resources
* Performs other assigned duties that are within the area of knowledge and skills required by the job description.
- Grade 12
- Four years’ related experience including a minimum of two years’ experience working with children and youth
- Two year college diploma in Library Technology or university level training in Library Science or equivalent
- Working knowledge of computer based library equipment and school based student information and learning management systems (i.e. Moodle)
- Proficient knowledge of word processing and spreadsheets
- Minimum word processing speed of 40 W.P.M.
- Strong communication and problem-solving skills
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively in a team environment
- Experience working in Moodle an asset
- Demonstrated ability to understand and implement library procedures
- Demonstrated ability to exercise independent judgment
* Or an equivalent combination of training and experience.
To apply please send your application to firstname.lastname@example.org. We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.
Closes: 24 November, 2019
Saanich School District No. 63
Saanichtion , BC