Customer Services Librarian - Adult Services Courtenay , BC
Vancouver Island Regional Library (VIRL) serves approximately 430,000 people on Vancouver Island, Haida Gwaii and the Central Mainland Coast through 39 branch libraries and a Virtual Branch, with a staff of approximately 400 employees.
We currently have a temporary full-time opportunity for a dynamic and energetic Customer Service Librarian, Adult Services at our Courtenay Branch:
This is a temporary full-time opportunity providing 35 hours a week which may include days, evenings and weekends.
The dates of this position are October 16, 2019 - October 14, 2020.
The Customer Services Librarian I (CSL) - Adult Services is responsible for the coordinated delivery of library services specializing in adult services. Under the direction of the Library Manager, the CSL provides leadership and performs a variety of professional duties involved in the coordination, development, delivery and continuing evaluation of information and online services, customer training, readers’ advisory, programming and outreach to the local community.
Under the direction of the Library Manager your representative duties will include the following areas of responsibility:
- Instructs and advises customers in using the online catalogue, databases, and other electronic products.
- Develops and maintains assigned areas of the branch collection(s). Identifies collection development priorities and provides input to the Library Manager.
- Provides information services and readers’ advisory. Guides and assists customers in locating answers to their questions using a variety of print and non-print resources.
- Promotes staff commitment and a focus towards organizational goals and direction.
- Oversees the effective and efficient coordination of projects.
- Participates in cross-functional teams for the implementation of system wide initiatives.
- Working with Library Manager, liaises and partners with external organizations and groups to increase the use of library resources and services.
- Develops appropriate working relationships within all levels of VIRL.
- May supervise Circulation Supervisor(s), Community Support Technician(s), Library Assistant(s) and Page(s).
- Advises the Library Manager on trends and issues affecting branch library services and prepares recommendations. Maintains an awareness of current developments in the profession.
- Ensures the branch appearance, facility and equipment is maintained.
- Assists the Library Manager with the recruitment and performance management of the Circulation Supervisors, Library Assistants and Pages.
- Assists the Library Manager in budget development and financial procedures.
- Prepares periodic statistical reports as required.
- Responsible for ensuring compliance with the Occupational Health and Safety Act and Regulations, and the VIRL’S Health and Safety Policy and related procedures.
- Other related duties as required.
- Completion of an ALA graduate degree in librarianship and information studies.
- Appropriate course work may be required.
- Completion of workshops/seminars and/or demonstrated skills and knowledge in the areas of library services, facilitating, training, leadership, team building, customer service, communication, and conflict resolution.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Demonstrated ability to establish and maintain effective staff and public relations.
- Proven ability to implement, inform, and work within developed policy and procedure.
- Proven ability to teach, facilitate, role model, mentor and act as a resource.
- Demonstrated ability to exercise initiative, tact, leadership and independent judgment.
- Demonstrated ability to organize, delegate and supervise, as well as work independently and in a team environment.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Excellent knowledge of information services technology.
- Working knowledge of computer hardware, operating systems, applications software and interfaces.
You should also know:
You are required to have a valid BC Driver’s License and a reliable vehicle given that there will be travel to various VIRL Branches or potential VIRL Branch locations. You will also be required to satisfactorily complete a Criminal Record Check (Working with Children & Vulnerable Adults).
Please submit your resume and cover letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org referencing Job Posting GEU2019-107 CO in the subject line of your email.
Applications will be accepted until Thursday, August 29, 2019 at 5:00 pm.
This is a BC GEU Unionized position providing an hourly rate of $31.71 - Please visit our job board for additional details at: https://virl.bc.ca/jobs/customer-services-librarian-adult-services/
VIRL thanks all applicants for their interest in working with us however only those selected for an interview will be contacted directly.
Closes: 29 August, 2019
Vancouver Island Regional Library
Courtenay , BC