Manager, Publicity and Social Media Markham , ON
Manager, Publicity and Social Media
Job Posting # 2019-24
Job Type: Non-Union Full-time
Hours: 35 hours per week on average
Number of openings: 1
Posting Date: May 14, 2019
Closing Date: May 31, 2019 by 4:30 pm
Applications are now being received for the above position at the Administration Centre of Markham Public Library.
Vision for the Role
The Manager, Publicity and Social Media offers a strong set of skills that will enable them to develop integrated, targeted and innovative promotional solutions to spread the word about MPL and its services. The Manager, Publicity and Social Media is adept at understanding how to best engage diverse stakeholders. They bring creativity and enthusiasm in their approach to work. They embrace the challenge of creating dynamic opportunities to promote the library’s brand. They are part of a Marketing and Community Development team that works intensively with the community to listen deeply to its needs. The Manager, Publicity and Social Media participates in this work in order to extend the library’s reach in ways that resonate with the community. They help MPL revolutionize the way its stakeholders think about libraries.
Publicity & Promotions
- Responsible for library promotions.Coordinates promotional efforts for new services/major projects, including the design and development of print and digital promotional collateral.
- Develops schedule for community events and festivals. Works with the Marketing & Community Development department to coordinate the library’s presence at these events.
- Under the direction of the Manager, Marketing and Community Development, develops targeted publicity to promote library collections, services and programs.
- Analyzes data and other evidence to assess the effectiveness of promotional campaigns and publicity tactics. Recommends appropriate solutions tailored to the needs of their intended audiences.
- Develops standards for the look and feel of all promotional materials for library services and programs. Works with the Branch Managers to ensure in-branch promotions are consistent with the branding strategy and promotional standards.
- Oversees the standards for merchandizing and special displays for the branches. Establishes a schedule of displays that supports the library’s overall promotional efforts. Communicates expectations for merchandizing to staff.
- Ensures the integrity and consistency of the library’s brand and graphic standards online and in the branch and on all promotional materials.
- Oversees the design and development of branded merchandise and works with the Marketing Assistant to procure materials.
Communications & Reporting
- Contributes to communications and reports to stakeholders. Works with staff to coordinate content for internal and external stakeholder communication.
- Supports the Manager, Marketing & Community Development in preparing media releases and other external communications as appropriate.
- Monitors and reports on marketing related metrics. Develops recommendations for the Manager, Marketing & Community Development based on trends in these metrics.
- Responsible for the design and production of public-facing documents ie the strategic plan, annual report and other online or print publications.
Online Presence and Social Media
- Responsible for the user experience of the library website. Coordinates online content and branding.
- Implementation of the library’s social media strategy.
- Works with staff to coordinate social media messaging and manage the library’s presence on various platforms.
- Monitors the library brand through its social media presence.
- Provides support to management to prepare appropriate public communications.
- Liaises with Corporate Communication and other stakeholders. Effectively represents MPL’s interest on various external committees or projects.
- Delivers presentations to stakeholders.
- Under the direction of the Manager, Marketing & Community Development, administers the Library’s Promotions budget.
- Effectively manages stakeholder relations with internal stakeholders, board members and staff.
- Attends library and community events as required. Coordinates on-site activities as required.
Anticipates Customers’ Needs: staff with this competency are adept at proactively seeking information and using it to develop strategies for service improvements.
Extends the Customer Service Revolution to Internal Customers: staff with this competency build credibility by providing factual, timely and relevant information to colleagues.
Embraces the Strategic Vision: aligns closely with the mission of the organization. Thinks creatively about how they can make the vision a reality.
Uses Influence: uses persuasion and influence to gain acceptance of ideas or service initiatives and leads people through their commitment to our strategic goals.
Thinks Creatively and Innovates: staff with this competency are able to see connections between seemingly disparate things and determine how these connections may be used for problem solving or service improvements.
Interpersonal Communications: when communicating individually with staff, colleagues or customers, the employee with this competency is able to present essential points with clarity, tact, and in a persuasive way, that supports open dialogue.
Engages the Community: builds relationships with library stakeholders, and particularly the community, in order to engage them in the design, planning, evaluation and participation in library services.
- University degree in Marketing, Communications, Public Relations or other related field from an accredited post-secondary institution, or an acceptable equivalent. In addition, a professional designation or certification is beneficial.
- Minimum two years’ experience in a relevant field such as marketing, promotions and publicity, media relations or communications. Previous experience working in Library marketing is an asset.
- Demonstrated experience developing marketing and communications plans is strongly preferred.
- Demonstrated previous leadership experience.Previous experience supervising people is preferred.
Workplace Health and Safety
This position shall:
- Ensure overall policy implementation of Occupational Health & Safety Act.
- Respond in writing to written recommendations of the Joint Occupational Health and Safety Committee.
- Take reasonable care that the organization complies with the Ontario Occupational Health and Safety Act.
- Ensure only competent persons are assigned supervisory duties.
All interested candidates are asked to submit a resume and covering letter indicating how they meet the qualifications of the position to:
Please quote the job posting # 2019-24 in the Subject line.
Markham Public Library
6031 Highway # 7
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Closes: 31 May, 2019
Markham Public Library
Markham , ON