Occasional Part Time Member Service Associate Bowmanville , ON
Occasional Part Time (up to a maximum average of thirty-two (32) hours over a two (2) week period)
Location:System-wide involving work at all branches
Salary Range: $21.69 - $25.25 per hour (2019 Rate)
This position is responsible for delivering excellence in public service to all library members through the provision of charging and discharging physical materials, registering new members, conducting cash transactions, reader’s advisory, technology support, delivery of programs and group visits, completion of interlibrary loans, processing of physical materials, etc. The successful applicant is expected to be available to work any shift (day, evening and weekend) of the Clarington Public Library hours of operation at any branch location of the Clarington Public Library system.
These responsibilities indicate the general nature and level of work expected. It is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities required by the incumbent. The incumbent may be asked to perform other duties as required and as the nature of library services and the work environment changes.
- Contributes to providing a welcoming environment for Library members and delivers excellent customer service
- Delivers Library programs/class/group/outreach visits to members of all ages which focus may include: early literacy development, STEAM integration, digital literacy, and/or continuing education
- Facilitates information and knowledge discovery through the provision of Library resources; including computer hardware, the Library catalogue, physical materials, and online resources
- Assists in digital literacy training to the public through use of Library technology resources
- Performs circulation duties that include, but are not limited to: registering library members, checking library materials in and out, registering members for library programs, accurately completing fiscal transactions, processing materials for courier, shelving materials, shelf reading, updating the catalogue, transferring items in floating collections, etc.
- Maintains the visual standards of the Library, including the planning and implementation of displays, promotions, shelving material, shelf reading, and weeding
- Act as in-charge person as required
- Completes research/statistical compilation and report writing as required
- Comply with all procedures and requirements of the Occupational Health and Safety Act, Library Safety Policies and other applicable legislation or regulations
- Completion of an accredited Library Technician diploma program with one year of related work experience or an equivalent combination of education and experience to the satisfaction of the Library CEO
- Demonstrated working knowledge of technological applications including Internet, electronic databases, social media, standard office computing software
- Demonstrated knowledge of public library resources and how to search for information
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, and presentation skills
- Strong customer service orientation
- Ability to balance effectively multiple responsibilities and priorities
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively in a rapidly changing environment.
- Valid Ontario Motor Vehicle Operator’s License and the use of a motor vehicle
- A satisfactory, current (within last 90 days), Criminal Records Check (CPIC) with Vulnerable Sector Screening, from a Canadian Police Information Centre is required prior to commencing employment
- Demonstrated knowledge in early childhood education considered an asset
quoting file number 2019-05AF to:
Nancy Sandercock, Manager of Human Resources
Clarington Public Library, 163 Church Street, Bowmanville, ON L1C 1T7
Telephone: 905-623-7322, Ext. 2704; Fax: 905-623-8608
We thank all applicants for their interest; however only those under consideration will be contacted.
The Clarington Public Library is pleased to accommodate individual needs in accordance with the Accessibility of Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005 (AODA), within our recruitment process. If you require accommodation at any time throughout the recruitment process please contact
Closes: 26 April, 2019
The Clarington Public Library
Bowmanville , ON