Information Specialist Calgary , AB
Bow Valley College is the largest and fastest growing Comprehensive Community College in Alberta. We have over 20 locations across southern Alberta helping 14,000 learners each year. Our mission is to contribute to the vitality of communities and strength of the economy through innovative adult education programs and services which equip students for successful living, lifelong learning, and employment in a global knowledge-based environment.
Why work at Bow Valley College? We have recently been named one of Alberta's Top 70 Employers for 2018. Bow Valley College is made up of employees who are committed to our learners´ success, as well as each other´s. Our staff and faculty consistently say it is the people who keep them at the College, the opportunity to make a difference in the lives of our students, and the incredible support they receive from their co-workers and supervisors.
Under the supervision of the Library and Learning Commons Lead, the Information Specialist will provide client-centered library services for the LLC. These services may include assistance in the use of databases and online and/or print resources, library orientation and training, teaching information literacy skills, and literature search requests as required. Interaction with the public is routine, as this position is responsible for supporting clients seeking assistance with library services. The Information Specialist will focus on community outreach services to distributed learners and will effectively market and promote library and information services to the Bow Valley College community onsite and offsite. The Information Specialist is expected to keep up-to-date on trends that affect and enhance the delivery of library and information services. The position will perform other duties as needed that contribute to the goals and objectives of the LLC operation.
Outreach and Reference Services
- Provides student centered services in the library and offers library support to teaching staff and Faculty
- Provides reference services to library users; including library training and orientation, assistance in the use of databases and online and/or print resources, mediated searching, literature search requests as required.
- Act as the liaison between the library and the College faculty, by providing library instruction, resource support, and curriculum resource guidance to instructors
- Knowledge of library partnerships and memberships (ie. TAL, SAIL, LHCADL) and the ability to convey this knowledge and the benefits of such memberships to library patrons.
- Promotes the role of the Library and Learning Commons to the BVC community through networking, creating displays, orientation sessions, and the distribution of promotional materials related to library services. Prepares and updates promotional materials as needed.
- Updates and develops online content as needed.
- Provides one-on-one and/or group instruction and assistance to learners and staff on the use of library resources and technologies.
- Facilitates the learning process by utilizing instructional strategies that ensure effective and efficient delivery of materials.
- Uses appropriate technology for communications, presentations, and program promotion
- Participates in the planning, development, implementation, and evaluation of information literacy teaching sessions to staff and learners.
- Liaise with appropriate department members to determine information needs in efforts to develop collections which support course curriculum.
- Make print, audiovisual, and electronic resource selections adhering to BVC’s Collection Development Policy.
- Responsible for an allocated acquisition budget and track status of acquisitions.
- Recommend items for collection based upon communication with departments.
- Weed the existing collection as required.
- In the absence of the Library and Learning Commons Lead, may be required to perform supervisory duties, including first-line problem solving of floor issues; communicating effectively any issues to the Library and Learning Commons Lead upon his/her return.
- Supervision and/or training of other employees at the same or lower level as required.
- Ensure adherence to BVC procedures and policies.
- Actively participate in regularly scheduled LLC team meetings.
- Serve on library committees as requested.
- Attend meetings representing the college and/or the LLC as needed
- Perform other duties as requested by supervisor that contribute to the overall goals and objectives of the LLC.
- Completion of a Masters of Library and Information Science degree from an ALA accredited library program.
- Ability to work in a collaborative and integrated environment.
- Ability to initiate change and apply creativity and innovation to LLC operations
- Develop partnerships with BVC departments and community members
- Familiarity of reference services, bibliographic instruction, and collection development; particularly in an academic setting.
- Knowledge of, and experience with computing technology, database searching, and Internet.
- Proven excellence in customer service skills.
- Demonstrated good judgment, a good general knowledge of library techniques and practices.
- Understanding of searching and researching techniques of both print and electronic materials.
- Intermediate to advance working knowledge of Microsoft Office
- Strong interpersonal and teamwork skills
- Ability to work independently
- Strong problem-solving skills
- Knowledge of the LLC and BVC guidelines, procedures, and standards used.
- Ability to train and supervise the work of others.
- Ability to adjust workflow based on customer demand and LLC vision
- Ability to perform detailed tasks quickly and accurately is essential.
This is a full-time, temporary position until approximately November 2020.
Please note that all successful candidates will be required to provide government issued identification and proof of educational qualifications upon hire and may be required to provide an enhanced police information check.
To apply, please go to: https://careersbowvalleycollege.hua.hrsmart.com/hr...
Closes: 26 March, 2019
Bow Valley College
Calgary , AB