Children's Services Coordinator Midland , ON
We’re in search of a superhero, and when we say superhero, we mean it! MPL is on the lookout for an outgoing, dynamic, energetic and creative person to take the lead role in our Children’s Department as the Children’s Services Coordinator. The person who steps into this role should be able to create a variety of programming for children from babies to tweens, making them all feel welcome & excited to be a part of the Library – all while having a great time!
Duties & Responsibilities
- Assessing, with the Community Programs Supervisor, the Head of Adult & Teen Services and the Library Assistant I (the “programming team), the programming needs of the community and library.
- Prepares program plans for and implements a regular series of programming which may include, but is not limited to, story time, craft programs, baby programming, reading clubs, Family Literacy Day, seasonal events etc.
- Develops, maintains and weeds the children’s collection including reference materials, fiction, non-fiction, DVDs, music, etc.
- Promotes the use of library by children.
- Provides statistics and reports as required.
- Provides assistance to library users in a manner that is warm, welcoming and respectful.
- Assists with the planning, research and implementation of new initiatives as required.
- Responsible for the supervision and task assignments of the Library Assistant I (Programming)
- Represents the Library on cross functional committees and at workshops as required.
- Performs other duties as required to support library operations including assisting on the information desk and circulation desk as needed.
What do you need to bring to this position?
- Grade 12 high school diploma. Early Childhood Education, Library Technician Diploma, an MLIS or other related education would be considered an asset.
- A minimum of 3-5 years of experience in public libraries or in a similar environment providing programming to children.
- A motivated and outgoing personality with a passion for helping the community.
- Excellent communication, organization and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to project a positive, helpful image to the public.
- A commitment to professional development that will model lifelong learning to the community and your co-workers.
- Thorough knowledge of procedures and skills applicable to collection development.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with associated, community groups, external agencies and the general public.
- Proficient use of the Microsoft Office Suite, social media. Experience with WordPress and other technologies would be considered an asset.
- Excellent communication, organizational and interpersonal skills to contribute positively to a team environment.
- Effective and creative problem solving and trouble-shooting skills.
Hours: 35 hours per week – full time, permanent.
Offers of employment will be conditional on the successful candidate providing at their own expense, a satisfactory criminal reference check, with vulnerable sector clearance, prior to commencing employment.
Comprehensive pay & benefits package, commensurate with education & experience.
Note: This positions consists of varied shifts – the successful candidate will be required to work day, evening and weekend shifts.
Total Hours per Week: 35, evening & weekend work will be required.
Posting Date: February 15th, 2019
Closing Date: Review of applications will begin March 1st, 2019, posting will remain open until a suitable candidate is found.
Please apply by submitting your resume via email, or by dropping your resume off at the library to:
CEO & Chief Librarian
Midland Public Library
320 King Street
* Only those candidates selected for further consideration will be contacted*
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE
Closes: 30 April, 2019
Midland Public Library
Midland , ON