Librarian Burnaby , BC
Under the direction of the Administration, the Alexander College Librarian is responsible ensuring that the Library continues to support the academic culture of Alexander College. The Alexander College Librarian is generally responsible for managing, upkeep and maintenance of the particular campus library to which he or she is assigned, including curating its collections and scheduling and supervision of Library Assistants and student workers. The librarian performs duties related to circulation, cataloging, research help and database management. Moreover, the Librarian liaises with faculty to provide research and information literacy workshops, collection development, as well as one-on-one research appointments with students.
This position requires a Master’s in Library and Information Studies (or equivalent) from an ALA accredited institution. The ideal candidate will have a working understanding of librarianship in a postsecondary environment, including Library of Congress classification, ILS use and management and records keeping. The successful candidate should also have a working knowledge of Microsoft Office programs, good interpersonal and service skills.
Reports to the Director of Student Affairs
Full time, Permanent
The Employee will work 40 hours per week, Monday – Friday, 8:00am-4:30pm. Occasional overtime may be required as well.
Burnaby and Vancouver Campus, flexibility to travel between campuses may be required.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS:
- Master’s degree from an ALA-accredited school
- Minimum one-year experience working in an educational institution in a library setting preferred (transferable skills from other areas will be considered)
- Experience working with International students desired
- Excellent interpersonal & relationship building skills
- Knowledge of the BC College and University system
- Superior leadership and team work capabilities
- Superior oral and written communication skills
- Ability to maintain professionalism and cordiality when working with others
- Strong ability to take initiative and complete tasks as assigned
- Strong familiarity with Microsoft Office, including Microsoft Excel
- Ability to maintain collegial relationships with other staff members
- Broad knowledge of academic library service issues
- Familiarity with current and emerging technology and information resources
- Demonstrated management experience
- Demonstrated instructional experience (preferably in ESL or academic settings)
- Demonstrated experience with website maintenance, and the operation of an Integrated Library System
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively with users from a wide variety of cultural and linguistic backgrounds.
1. Supervise and Coordinate Library Staff
- Provide scheduling for staff and student workers as needed
- Participate in and facilitate Library Unit meetings
- Assist with hiring within the Library Unit
- Assist with Unit assessment and provide term and annual reports
- Represent Alexander College Library at internal and external events and meetings
2. Supervise Library Space and Collections
- Supervise and maintain the Library’s physical space, its resources, and manage auxiliary library staff (e.g.: student workers in the library, Library Assistants).
- Perform collection development activities and maintenance, in accordance with Alexander College policies and guidelines. (e.g. purchasing, cataloging, & weeding)
- Order and add recommended reading list books for new courses or curriculum updates to collection.
- Coordinate, produce and distribute student ID cards.
- Create, update, and maintain student printing accounts.
3. Provide Reference and Instructional Services
- Offer and/or coordinate information and learning resource services to students, staff and instructors of Alexander College’s Vancouver campus.
- Provide reference services in traditional and virtual contexts.
- Provide library orientations and information literacy workshops.
- At the behest of Alexander College Instructional staff, provide academic-related workshops in classes at either Alexander College campus.
- Support the instructors and staff with discovery and databases / digital resources
- Participate with Ask Away on a weekly basis, on behalf of Alexander College.
4. Perform Administrative Functions
- Communicate with college administration, committees, and external stakeholders.
- Contribute to program and policy development, including library-related student activities.
- Work with staff from other divisions on creating and implementing new initiatives at the College.
- Assist with Institutional Effectiveness and other division reports and Accreditation needs, as required.
- Assist with archiving course materials at the end of each term for the appropriate campus.
- Provide students with information about other libraries and resources that are available.
- Maintain professional development, associations, and memberships.
- Participate on committees, as needed.
- Perform other duties as requested by the Director of Student Affairs.
HOW TO APPLY:
If you are interested in the above position and you would like to apply, please apply with your resume and cover letter to email@example.com. Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted. No phone calls please. Thank-you!
Closes: 9 May, 2019
Burnaby , BC