Client Services Assistant Nanaimo , BC
Work where you matter. Vancouver Island University is accepting applications for the permanent, full-time role of Library Client Services Assistant.
As our Client Services Assistant, you adhere to the highest standards of public service at all times, provide front-line service to our Library clients by managing transactions at the Library Service Desk and at other service points within the Library.
The responsibilities of the Client Services Assistant are varied and require your expertise to:
- Assist clients with a wide variety of resources and equipment in a busy, demanding, complex and constantly changing library.
- Assist VIU students, faculty and staff in research and information gathering using both traditional print and audio-visual materials and a steadily growing, increasingly complex, and continually shifting array of electronic resources.
- Assist clients in the use of computer hardware and software; Help clients successfully save, troubleshoot, organize and print documents.
- Troubleshoot user problems with printing, software, and equipment, be alert to issues, report and describe problems to the IT Helpdesk, and liaise with technicians to help resolve them.
- Answer general questions from students, staff, and members of the public on a wide range of topics to do with various VIU and community policies, services, departments, events, and locations.
- Monitor and respond to email requests from VIU Library users.
- Provide guidance to Service Desk Assistants.
- Take responsibility for a welcoming and hospitable Library facility.
- Maintain public use equipment in good order.
- Maintain the integrity of the physical collections and public use equipment in the Library and Commons, constantly monitoring, sorting, shelving, shifting, organizing and correcting the locations of materials.
- Tidy and maintain the integrity of library study spaces and public areas to maintain an optimum learning environment for students, reporting building problems promptly and in detail, and liaising with Facilities Services to resolve problems.
- Open and close the Library as needed.
- Take responsibility for building security and cash deposits as needed.
- Conduct the delegated daily core operations of Library Loan Services by ensuring the timely location, processing and supply of needed materials to VIU Library users at all four campuses, distance education students and external libraries.
- Provide video and equipment loan services, including booking, lending and maintaining a variety of multimedia resources along with instructing clients in their use.
- Manage various aspects of the online integrated library system which supports client services as needed; these may include processing holds, overdues, interlibrary loan requests, and assembling, cataloguing and maintaining a reserve collection of limited loan and online materials.
- Two-year Library Technician or Library and Information Technology Diploma from an appropriately accredited institution.
- Three to five years public service library experience, with a minimum of one year recent relevant academic library experience. An equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
- Demonstrated proficiency with standard office productivity software and other applications commonly used in an academic environment.
- Ability to perform moderate physical labour, including lifting up to 50 lbs.
- Work effectively as a member of a team, as well as alone on duty.
- Proven ability to perform duties accurately and efficiently under stressful conditions.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills and a commitment to exceptional customer service standards.
- Ability to work effectively with students, faculty, staff and the public.
Review the full job details and apply online by Feb. 21.
Ideally situated on Mid-Vancouver Island with spectacular views of the coastal mountains, Vancouver Island University is a comprehensive teaching university with approximately 15,000 students across four campuses. VIU proudly fosters student success, strong community connections and international collaborations by providing access to a wide range of programs, from academic undergraduate and master’s to industry-responsive trades and vocational training. VIU is particularly proud of its role in Aboriginal education and is dedicated to advancing student success in this area.
All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority. VIU embraces the principle of employment equity and encourages applications from women, persons with disabilities, visible minorities, and people of Aboriginal descent.
Closes: 21 February, 2019
Vancouver Island University
Nanaimo , BC