Children's Library Service Associate Niagara on the Lake , ON
Niagara-on-the-Lake Public Library is searching for a creative and dynamic individual with demonstrated enthusiasm towards the mission of public libraries for the position of:
Children’s Library Service Associate (CLSA)
As a member of the library team, the CLSA participates in the development, provision, and evaluation of innovative library service for children and youth in the library and in the community.
Major responsibilities include:
- Brainstorm, create, implement and evaluate programs for children and youth
- Incorporate emergent technologies and creative maker spaced focused activities into programs
- Assist in the promotion of children’s programs and department resources through seasonal brochures, posters and social media
- Maintain the general appearance of the collections in the Children’s department
- Assist in the selection of library materials for the children’s collection
- Conduct school class visits
- Promote children’s library programs in the library and in appropriate community services as assigned
- Represent the library on children’s services committees and serve as an authority on children’s service.
- Remain up to date on new technologies through self-initiated and structured learning opportunities
- Complete other duties as assigned
- Must enjoy working with children and youth and has the ability to deal with the pressures of public service work in a busy work environment
- Knowledge about children’s literature, trends and programming
- A passion for makerspace technologies
- Ability to work independently and lead/support a team
- Positive attitude toward public service work
- Considerable knowledge of customer service principles and techniques
- Ability to deal tactfully and courteously with the public
- Ability to make decisions in accordance with library policies and procedures
- Ability to understand the change process and how it will impact daily activities; ability to change strategies/behaviours in response to changing priorities and conditions.
Minimum Qualification Requirements:
- Early Childhood Education Diploma (ECE)/ BA in Children and Youth Studies or combination of equivalent education and experience
- Experience directing, leading and running children’s programs
- Experience working with a wide range of ages from Babies to Teens
- Must demonstrate strong organisational, planning, promotional skills. Must possess strong communication, and interpersonal skills, and the ability to interact effectively with colleagues, and other diverse groups and individuals in a friendly manner. Ability to quickly adapt to and learn new software without extensive training, flexibility and willingness to embrace change.
- Excellent digital literacy skills
- Ability to adapt to flexible work schedules
- Ability to work as a team player
- Must be able to stand for extensive periods of time during the work day
- A strong service orientation and a demonstrated ability to deliver quality customer service
The position requires travel.
Prior to appointment the successful candidate will be required to obtain a police record check for work with the vulnerable sector.
Start Date: April 2019
Hours: Part-time, 18 hours a week.Schedule to be determined.
Deadline: Please submit your cover letter and resume by Friday March 1st, 9 pm to email@example.com
We thank all those that apply however only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.
Closes: 1 March, 2019
Niagara on the Lake Public Library
Niagara on the Lake , ON