Library Technician - Content and Technologies Georgetown , ON
One (1) permanent part-time position
The Halton Hills Public Library is seeking an energetic, innovative, customer-service-oriented team player with exceptional technical skills to work as part of the Library’s Content and Technologies Team. The incumbent will be responsible for enabling the public to access library materials, resources and programs by creating and maintaining records in the electronic catalogue. The incumbent also prepares library materials for use by the public, which includes placing orders, monitoring the arrival and disposition of vendor shipments, reconciling invoices, and administering subscriptions for all library collections.
This position will work out of the Georgetown Branch, and will report to the Manager of Content and Technologies.
- Create, edit and maintain online bibliographic and holdings records for all library materials.
- Proof-read and edit bibliographic records using the most recent editions possible of the Dewey Decimal Classification system, the Library of Congress Subject Headings and Resource Description and Access (RDA) as well as other bibliographic standards as appropriate. Records follow the Machine Readable Cataloguing (MARC) format.
- Create original records for library programs using in-house standards
- Regularly maintain the electronic catalogue and correct any irregularities.
- Coordinate distribution of publishers’ lists (also known as publishers’ catalogues) to all selectors.
- Order library materials for the entire library.
- Maintain subscriptions for magazines including subscription renewals and claiming missing issues.
- Processing invoices through the Acquisitions module of the integrated library system.
- Inventory the collection as required.
- Follow all relevant department and Library policies and procedures. Assist in the development of departmental procedures and recommend new or revised policies to the Manager of Content and Technologies.
- Be responsible for maintaining the privacy of personal information and borrowing records of patrons in accordance with privacy legislation.
- May work regular shifts on public services desks at the Georgetown and Acton branches and be available to cover breaks, illness, and vacations at the request of the Manager of Community and Adult Services.
- If so designated, act as the In-Charge Person (ICP) as required.
- Perform other job-related duties.
- Minimum education: Library and Information Technician Diploma or equivalent.
- Two years of cataloguing experience, preferably in a public library
- Excellent attention to detail
- Knowledge of library cataloguing standards and tools
- Familiarity with office software
- Knowledge of an integrated library system
- Able to organize time efficiently
- Strong English written and oral communication skills
- Must be able to work independently and as part of a team, to promote a harmonious workplace
- An undergraduate university degree an asset
Hours: 16 hours per week.
Salary: $30.60 per hour
Application Deadline: November 21, 2018
Start Date: January 2019
Qualified candidates may submit a detailed cover letter and resume in confidence to the Library by 5:00 p.m., November 21, 2018. Those candidates offered an interview will be required to provide the names and contact information of three references at that time.
Please identify the title of the position that you are applying for in your cover letter and in the subject line of your email.
Please apply using only one method of application below.
Halton Hills Public Library
9 Church Street
Georgetown, Ontario L7G 2A3
RE: Library Technician – Content and Technologies
Email: email@example.com (preferred)
We thank all those who apply, but advise that only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted. The Halton Hills Public Library is an equal opportunity employer. Accommodations are available for all parts of the recruitment process. If contacted for an interview, please advise the Library’s Administrative Assistant at 905-873-2681 Ext. 2523 of any measures you feel you need to enable you to be assessed in a fair and equitable manner. Information received relating to accommodation measures will be addressed confidentially.
Closes: 21 November, 2018
Halton Hills Public Library
Georgetown , ON