Library Technician - Competition # 00245SA - Public Services, 8 month Repeating Term New Westminster , BC
Work Arrangements This is a regular, part-time, Staff Repeating Term position (28 hours per week), based at our New Westminster campus.
It is available from September 4th, 2018 to April 25th, 2019.
The hours of work are Monday to Thursday, 1:30 PM to 9:00 PM during the semester and Monday-Thursday 9:00am - 4:30pm during intersession.
The Role Library Technicians contribute to our success by supporting the services, programs and strategic directions of the Learning Resources Department at Douglas College by providing direct and accessible service to the public using a range of complex departmental processes in areas such as: circulation, collection, catalogue and technical support.
- PUBLIC SUPPORT Providing access and direction to materials and information, to students, faculty, and staff as well as members of the public and external institutions.
- TECHNICAL SUPPORT Ensuring technologies that are available for public use in the library are accessible to the public while adhering to internal and external guidelines. Ensure adaptive devices for students with the technologies as required.
- LEARNING RESOURCES DEPARTMENTAL SUPPORT Providing patrons with information about library activities, services, and facilities. Participates in division meetings, projects and committees. Recommending changes to improve library resources and accessibility to patrons. Establishing and documenting procedures. Compiling statistical information for a wide variety of functions related to library public services.
To Be Successful in this Role You Will Need
- A minimum of a Library or Media Technician diploma from an accredited two year program plus two to three years’ current relevant related work experience in an automated integrated library system environment, preferably in a high-volume academic library. An equivalent combination of education, work-related learning and experience may be considered.
- A sound working knowledge of:
- Standard library techniques, vocabulary and organization, including Library of Congress Classification and bibliographic conventions, and student oriented service delivery.
- Audio visual hardware and software used in post secondary education.
- Familiarity with automated circulation systems and the ability to interpret, monitor and contribute to library procedures, policies and systems.
- Excellent interpersonal and cross-cultural communication skills including written and verbal fluency in the English language.
- Demonstrated ability to:
- Speak effectively to small groups in informal and formal settings.
- Deliver instruction and presentations to students, faculty and the public on audio visual hardware and software used in post secondary education.
- Provide efficient client-focused service to individuals and groups in a high volume setting.
- Interact effectively and respectfully with people of diverse cultural backgrounds, including students, College employees and the broader community.
- Develop and maintain good working relationships and work effectively in a team setting. -Ensure accuracy of information and attend to details.
- Plan and organize work, manage competing priorities and meet deadlines, with minimal supervision. -Resolve problems and address concerns, take the initiative to suggest improvements to operations and processes.
- Use College resources, including time, equipment and materials efficiently and responsibly. -Exercise good judgment, objectivity and thoughtfulness in decision-making.
- Maintain confidentiality of sensitive information.
- Be dependable and reliable.
- Use computer applications such as Word and Excel, email and the Internet, keyboard at 45 w.p.m. and enter data accurately at an intermediate level.
- Compile and report relevant statistics.
Special Instructions to Applicant Interested applicants must ensure that a resume and cover letter is received on-line, through the Douglas College Career Site. This position will remain open until filled with a first review date of August 10, 2018.
Please ensure your resume clearly explains how you meet the required knowledge, skills and abilities of the position for which you are applying.
Qualified internal applicants shall be given first consideration in filling this position.
Quick Link for Direct Access to Posting http://www.douglascollegecareers.ca/postings/2812
Closes: 31 August, 2018
New Westminster , BC