Director, Public Services - 2 Vacancies Hamilton , ON
Freedom to Discover it’s more than our mission statement; it is our promise to the community to be inclusive, to be relevant and to be innovative. We deliver on this promise. As the recipient of provincial, national and international awards, the Hamilton Public Library celebrates excellence. Hamilton is a community of 520,000, located at the heart of the Golden Horseshoe region of Southern Ontario. The city is home to a thriving arts and culture sector, is undergoing an economic renaissance, and offers many natural wonders including the Niagara escarpment. Urban, suburban and rural residents are all well served by the Hamilton Public Library. We have over 4 million visits annually at our 22 locations and 2 bookmobiles, with annual circulation of 7 million. We provide an expanding collection of digital services through our website, www.hpl.ca.
The library system is recognized for its innovative partnerships, community leadership and a commitment to service excellence. We have a strong performance culture that is reflected in the dedication of 470 library staff members. We value intellectual freedom, inclusiveness, innovation, respect and accountability. The Library Board adopted a new Strategic Plan and we are currently recruiting two (2) senior Public Services Directors to play a key role in advancing our priorities. If you thrive in a fast-paced, dynamic environment that supports meaningful collaboration and have exemplary leadership skills, we want you on our Senior Leadership Team.
The Director of Public Service is a member of the Library’s Senior Leadership Team (SLT). Reporting to the Chief Librarian/CEO, the Director of Public Services plays an executive leadership role in ensuring library services and programs remain relevant and are delivered in an effective manner. Each Director will have a number of managers reporting to them and will serve as Executive Sponsors of key Library Steering Committees. Directors attend monthly Library Board meetings and act as senior advisors to the Chief Librarian/CEO, SLT and the Library Board. The successful candidates will have at least 6 years of library management experience with a strong record of accomplishment and proven collaborative leadership skills.
The Senior Leadership Team is using this process to improve the balance between Director portfolios and set the Library up to address key challenges for the coming decade. Included in the two vacant portfolios are: Branch Libraries, Adult & Senior Program Development; Youth Services Program Development; Collections & Extension Services; Technical Services and Local History & Archives. The final distribution of portfolios will be determined at the completion of the recruiting process.
- Masters of Library/Information Science Degree from an ALA credited institution.
- Demonstrated leadership experience with proven managerial skills. A minimum of 6 years of experience in a management level role related to Library services.
- Excellent people skills including management, negotiation and coaching.
- Demonstrated ability to direct the delivery of library services in a large library system making use of broad management and strong leadership skills complemented by an innovative and results-oriented approach.
- Ability to motivate staff and foster a co-operative and harmonious team environment.
- Demonstrated level of professionalism and confidentiality with strong ethics.
- Knowledge of and experience in major capital projects.
- Excellent communication skills both oral and written.
- Proficient with programs including Microsoft Office such as word, excel and power point, library technology including integrated library systems, databases, Internet applications and public interfaces
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple projects and priorities at the same time.
- Superior conflict management and problem solving skills.
- Sound knowledge of relevant legislation and industry policy statements.
- Knowledge of financial management methods including program costing, budget forecasting and monitoring of expenses.
- Demonstrated record of achieving strategic outcomes in a timely manner.
- Current knowledge of all aspects of library service, administration and management.
- Displays a commitment to continuous learning in order to remain current with the library’s policies and procedures, relevant legislation, trends, best practices and professional knowledge
- Demonstrated knowledge/compliance in regards to Ontario’s Health & Safety Act and other applicable regulations as it relates to the position.
Full job description available by emailing email@example.com
- The deadline for this application is 11:59pm July 23, 2018
- Please visit www.hpl.ca and proceed to Jobs at HPL to apply through City of Hamilton recruiting site.
- Send resumes to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Candidates proceeding to the formal interview process will also be required to submit a minimum of three (3) references as well as copies of proof of key qualifications (i.e.degrees, certifications, licences, driving abstract)
- Submission of references also stands as consent to obtain reference checks, personal or background checks and personnel file information as the Hamilton Public Library may require in connection with your employment.We respect the confidentiality of applicants and check references near the final stages of the selection process.
- The successful candidate will have to provide original proof of a Criminal Record and Judicial Matters Check.It is understood that the various checks referred are for employment purposes only and you agree that you will not hold any party liable for the information given or received.
- By submitting a resume, you are declaring that the information contained is true and complete to your knowledge.You understand that a false statement may disqualify you from employment, or cause your dismissal.We thank all applicants who apply and advise that only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
The Hamilton Public Library is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection processes.If contacted for an employment opportunity, please advise Human Resources if you require accommodation.
Closes: 23 July, 2018
Hamilton Public Library
Hamilton , ON