Director of Library Services and Planning Nanaimo , BC
Are you passionate about library services in our communities? Are you looking for a challenging and rewarding opportunity where progressive thinking, accountability and resource planning are valued?
If you are ready to work for an organization that fosters collaboration and partnership with its employees and communities, Vancouver Island Regional Library (VIRL) has an exciting opportunity for you!
We are looking for an experienced and energetic individual to join us as our Director of Library Services & Planning.
The Director of Library Services & Planning is a senior leadership position reporting directly to the Executive Director. The purpose of the position is to oversee the delivery of library services that are responsive to community needs with the responsibility for the strategic, tactical and operational efficiencies consistent with VIRL’s mission, vision and values. The Director will be a key member of the Executive Leadership Group assisting the Executive Director with shaping corporate and strategic directions to respond to current and future challenges, will build VIRL’s internal capacity, including a high performance culture focused on excellent customer services, ongoing learning and continuous improvement.
The Director will ensure excellence in the provision of library service to the members of VIRL through the strategic development of collections, services and programs; establishing and implementing effective organizational structures; recruitment, development and retention of an effective customer focused and results orientated management team and appropriately designed facilities. Provide leadership in the development and implementation of appropriate policies and procedures to support VIRL. Sponsor and champion major system-wide projects, report results, and evaluate Business Plan initiatives as assigned. On an assigned basis, the Director may be called upon to oversee the operations of Vancouver Island Regional Library in the absence of the Executive Director. Promoting continuous improvement and participating fully as a member of VIRL teams;
You have the following knowledge, skills and abilities:
- Demonstrated skills and knowledge of effective management principles and practices in a public library setting.
- Demonstrated ability to establish and maintain effective staff and public relations.
- Proven ability to implement, inform and work within developed policy and procedure.
- Proven ability to multi-task, teach, facilitate, role model, mentor and act as a resource.
- Strong creative problem solving ability.
- Proven ability to inspire staff and promote enthusiastic teamwork.
- Demonstrated ability to exercise initiative, tact, leadership and independent judgement.
- Demonstrated ability to organize, delegate and supervise as well as work independently and in a team environment.
- Strong interpersonal and communications skills, including the ability to lead effectively by example.
- Excellent knowledge of information services technology.
- Excellent knowledge of computer hardware, operating systems, applications software and interfaces.
In this position, your duties may include:
- As an active member of the Executive Leadership Group (The Group), contributes to the development, implementation and evaluation of corporate policies, service and business practices and is responsible for the strategic planning process.
- Key player in the development, collation, and implementation of the strategic plan.
- Responsible for the development, delivery, maintenance and evaluation of VIRL’s service delivery plan. The service delivery plan will: provide programs and initiatives that respond to community needs and expectations; enhance and extend the customer experience; and support the strategic plan.
- Complete management of employees within the division including: recruitment, counselling, mentoring, performance evaluation and the implementation of disciplinary action up to and including termination of employment.
- Ensures implementation of Business Plan action items through effective delegation, monitoring and reporting. Annually evaluates the achievement of identified action items relevant to assigned areas within VIRL.
- Contributes to the overall library budget development in conjunction with The Group.
- Leads the planning and management of VIRL operations including services, collections, programs and the development and implementation of new initiatives offered by the managers and staff at the 39 service points on Vancouver Island, Haida Gwaii and the Central Coast. This also includes the communications and marketing strategies and IT infrastructure to meet organizational goals, objectives and standards.
- Prepares and submits an annual portfolio budget that anticipates Library revenues and expenditures, provides analyses of needs and cost impacts and is responsible for the Library Services overall budget.
- Leads and oversees the provision of Library services, collections and programs that anticipate and meet the needs of the public. Leads and oversees collection development, operations, communications and marketing.
- Recruits and develops a staff compliment committed to excellence in library services.
- Directs the orientation and development of management and non-management direct reports and participates in the recruitment of managers and others as appropriate to ensure a strong management dedicated to achieving VIRL’s mission, vision and values. Responsible for the recruitment, performance evaluation and the implementation of disciplinary action up to and including termination of employment
- Represents library services on planning and design teams for new construction and or facility redevelopment.
- And of course, other duties as required.
Education & Experience that would you stand out:
- Completion of an ALA approved graduate degree in librarianship and information studies.
- Minimum of five (5) years (full time) relevant library management experience as a manager or director level in a public service setting.
- Completion of workshops/seminars and/or demonstrated skills and knowledge in the areas of ILS, technical and support services, facilitating, training, leadership, team building, customer service, communication and conflict resolution.
You should also know:
You are required to have a valid BC Driver’s License and a reliable vehicle given that there will be travel to various VIRL Branches or potential VIRL Branch locations. You will also be required to satisfactorily complete a Criminal Record Check (Working with Children & Vulnerable Adults).
Referencing Job Posting EX2018-31 in the subject line of your email, please submit your resume and cover letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
For full details and to submit your resume, visit: http://virl.bc.ca/job/director-library-services-pl...
Applications will be accepted until 3 April 2018.
We thank all applicants for their interest in joining our team but only those selected for an interview will be contacted directly.
VIRL thanks all applicants for their interest in working with us however only those selected for an interview will be contacted directly.
Closes: 3 April, 2018
Vancouver Island Regional Library
Nanaimo , BC