Learning Commons Administrative Assistant Burnaby , BC
BCIT’s Library Services department is seeking a temporary, part-time (0.8 FTE) Learning Commons Administrative Assistant. This position provides administrative and coordination support to the Learning Commons (LC), including Peer Tutoring, the Writing Centre, and Learning Skills. The LC Administrative Support contributes to development, administration, scheduling, marketing, and delivery of LC services, interacts with student employees and students on a regular basis, and ensures the smooth operation of the LC.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Handles a variety of inquiries on the Learning Commons.
- Supervises peer tutors (up to 100 annually) with respect to attendance and administrative duties. Supports peer tutor recruitment activities. Responds to and resolves issues.
- Responsible for training and scheduling up to 100 student employees.
- Creates and maintains a variety of manual and electronic records, including statistical reports, schedules and manuals.
- Oversees the collection of user data. Administers user surveys and develops statistic reports.
- Initiates development and improvement of Learning Commons work processes. Develops and maintains the Learning Commons procedures manual.
- Communicates on behalf of Learning Commons with students, staff and faculty.
- Collaborates as an essential Learning Commons team member to ensure the smooth operation of the Learning Commons.
- Oversees the purchase of office supplies, equipment, and promotional materials.
- Maintains and supports Learning Commons systems such as TutorTrac.
Web & Social Media Content:
- Writes and organizes LC content for Library website and social media channels, including posting documents and photos, maintaining hyperlinks.
Marketing & Events Coordination:
- In collaboration with other Learning Commons team members, coordinates development and implementation of the Learning Commons marketing plan.
- Assists in planning special events in the Learning Commons.
- Participates in Records Custodian training and remains current with record keeping practices, policies and procedures (both BCIT and FOIPOP).
- Undertakes related duties as assigned, consistent with the job grade for this position.
The qualifications section for this position was developed using the approved job evaluation plan, agreed to between the BCGEU and BCIT. The qualifications represent the minimum qualifications required in the future (i.e. to be reflected in job postings) and do not reflect the incumbent’s existing qualifications.
- Completion of Grade 12, plus completion of a two-year diploma in Business Administration or related discipline.
- Two years’ general experience plus up to four years’ practical experience in a similar position in an educational environment.
Software/Computer Application(s) and Expertise:
- Intermediate knowledge of MS Word and Excel, working knowledge of desktop publishing, web content management software and e-mail.
- Willingness and ability to learn and use new computer technologies and software.
- Creative thinking skills with the ability to design and produce effective visual displays.
- Excellent verbal and interpersonal skills with the ability to deal effectively with a diverse range of students, staff, and faculty.
- Proven ability to write in a clear and concise manner, and edit and proofread a variety of materials and media.
- Excellent telephone and electronic communication skills.
- Proven ability to work independently and within a team environment.
- Must be able to deal with situations with tact, discretion, and confidentiality.
- A strong customer service orientation and a commitment to high standard of quality.
Administrative Skills (e.g. prioritizing, minute taking, wp speed, etc.):
- Keyboard skills of 50 wpm.
- Flexible, self-directed and detail oriented with proven ability to meet changing priorities.
- Excellent organizational, problem-solving, coordination and follow-up skills.
- Ability to work under pressure with frequent interruptions and respond to multiple queries and demands.
- Experience working within a high functioning team responsible to meet numerous and conflicting deadlines.
- Ability to make responsible decisions independently and as a team member.
Benefits – Why you’d love working with us
- Competitive pay
- Minimum of fifteen days of vacation
- Competitive employer-paid extended health and dental plan – take a look at our benefit plans!
- Defined benefit pension plan with employer contributions
- Flexible hybrid work arrangements available
- Professional Development funds and resources
- Access to most BCIT Flexible Learning courses free of charge
- Wellness and Employee Assistance programs
- Complimentary membership with free access to the Fitness Centre, Gymnasium, and more
BCIT values diverse experiences, ideas, cultures and perspectives and is committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive workplace. As an equal opportunity employer, we encourage applications from members of all groups experiencing barriers to equity. If you require accessibility accommodations during any part of the application or hiring process, please contact RecruitmentAssistant@bcit.ca so we can best support you. Please note that all applications must be submitted via the careers page portal, email applications will not be accepted.
The British Columbia Institute of Technology acknowledges that our campuses are located on the unceded traditional territories of the Coast Salish Nations of xwməθkwəy̓əm (Musqueam), Sḵwx̱wú7mesh (Squamish), and səl̓ilwətaɁɬ (Tsleil-Waututh).
$51,709 per annum.
Closes: 17 December, 2023
British Columbia Institute of Technology
Burnaby , BC