Manager, Branch and Borrower Services
The Whitby Public Library (WPL) is currently seeking a highly motivated and energetic individual to fill the position of Manager, Branch and Borrower Services.
POSITION SUMMARY: The successful candidate for this challenging full-time exempt position will oversee the operations of the Borrower Services Department and WPL’s Community Branches. This position offers the opportunity to work in a growing and successful library system and to further develop programming, collections, and public services in a collaborative work environment, playing a leadership role in supporting Whitby Public Library’s strategic priorities, mission, and vision.
The Manager, Branch and Borrower Services builds a team approach to operations in a systemwide environment, working to improve current library services, plan future enhancements, and strengthen the WPL’s ability to respond to diverse community needs. Responsibilities require interpretive judgement in the creation and implementation of services, programs, plans, and procedures.
• Reports to the Director, Community and Service Development
• Coordinates, oversees, and leads operations in Borrower Services and at the Community Branches
• Supervises CUPE-affiliated and exempt staff or contract employees as assigned
• Collaborates with managers and staff in other departments
• MLS/MLIS from an ALA-accredited library program, preferred
• 2 years relevant experience
• Experience working in a library or public service setting is an asset, preferably supervising in a unionized environment
SALARY AND CONDITIONS OF WORK:
• $66,751-83,440 (2022 rate)
• Competitive benefits, including health, dental and pension plan
• Full-time, 35 hours per week
• May include two evenings per week and two weekends in four
• This position will work regular hours at all WPL locations
• Strong customer service focus and skills with experience serving a diverse population
• Supervisory experience and leadership skills with the ability to work with all personnel in a collaborative, committed and collegial setting, preferably within a unionized environment
• Superior interpersonal skills and the ability to influence others and build beneficial relationships with people at all levels inside and outside WPL
• Strong troubleshooting, problem identification and resolution skills, enabling you to take the initiative in handling diverse interactions, questions, or situations
• Comprehensive knowledge of library resources and services • The ability to work independently and self-motivate, as well as the ability to set priorities and to motivate team members
• Effective communication skills including negotiation and persuasion, report writing, and facilitation skills • Excellent reference and reader’s advisory skills
• Experience in collection development and maintenance and in programming
• Excellent technology skills with demonstrated ability to keep abreast of new trends, including an interest in exploring and experimenting with emerging technologies
• Experience with change management, flexibility, and a willingness to adapt to evolving objectives and priorities
• Excellent organizational skills with a demonstrated ability to manage a high volume of work, multiple priorities, and tight deadlines, with constant attention to detail
• Ability to think creatively and strategically with a system-wide approach, particularly when planning and directing strategic projects and initiatives
A valid driver’s license and access to a reliable vehicle to travel between WPL locations
For your safety and the safety of others, you will be required to demonstrate in writing, from an Ontario Ministry of Health authorized site, that you are fully vaccinated for COVID-19 as of your hire date. Vaccination requirements are subject to bona fide medical and/or human rights exemptions. Any request for an exemption will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis, as per our COVID-19 Vaccine Policy, and would be subject to the Library’s accommodation process.
Please mail or e-mail your detailed confidential cover letter and resume detailing education and experience no later than Friday, June 9, 2023, to:
Whitby Public Library
Corporate Services Department
405 Dundas Street West
Whitby, ON L1N 6A1 E-MAIL: email@example.com
The Whitby Public Library is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection processes and work environments.
Please advise Corporate Services of any accommodation needed to ensure your access to a fair and equitable process. Any information received relating to accommodation will be addressed confidentially. Acknowledgement will only be forwarded to those applicants who are invited for an interview. Personal information provided is collected under the authority of The Municipal Act.