Open: September 21, 2022
Closed: October 17, 2022
JOB POSTING - EXTERNAL
OPL #22-2022 Customer Service Librarian Permanent Full-Time
The Oshawa Public Libraries is a dynamic award-winning library that enriches the lives and potential of the people of Oshawa by connecting them to the world of information and each other. Oshawa Public Libraries is also a proud Employer Partner with the Canadian Centre for Diversity and Inclusion.
Oshawa Public Libraries is currently looking for a full-time Customer Service Librarian. Reporting to the Branch Manager, the Customer Service Librarian will assist with pro-active customer and information services and assist with collection development and maintenance.
Job Title: Customer Service Librarian – Full Time
Hourly Rate: $32.95
Reports to: Branch Manager
Hours: 35 per week. This position requires the employee to regularly work evenings and weekends at any of our 4 branches.
General Description of Duties:
1. Provides exceptional customer service to the residents of Oshawa.
2. Actively engages with customers to identify, address and deliver their unique information, entertainment and technology needs.
3. Assists with developing and delivering programs for all ages.
4. Collaborates with Management and Public Service staff to brainstorm service initiatives and opportunities that best address customer needs.
5. Performs their job duties through the lens of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion and acts as an ambassador of the Library at all times.
6. Assists with collection development, maintenance and evaluation.
7. This position is required to take every reasonable precaution in the circumstances for the protection of the health and safety of the worker.
8. Other Duties as assigned.
Skills and Abilities required:
1. Possess a natural affinity for working with the Public.
2. Superior customer service skills and the ability to work with a diverse group of people and uphold the value of inclusion by fostering a sense of belonging for all you encounter.
3. Demonstrated understanding of the developmental needs of the changing demographics in our community including children and senior citizens.
4. Demonstrated ability in setting priorities, monitoring projects, and completion of duties.
5. Diplomatic and collaborative with strong interpersonal skills and a proven ability to work with cross-functional teams and maintain effective working relationships.
6. Excellent oral, presentation and writing skills.
7. High level of motivation, initiative and responsibility.
8. Computer competency; advanced technological literacy and knowledge of office software and electronic resources that are used at a public library.
9. Demonstrated ability in setting priorities, monitoring projects, and ensuring follow-through.
10. Ability to uphold and promote the values of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion in their work.
11. Non-Violent Crisis Intervention and conflict de-escalation training will be considered an asset
12. Bilingualism will be considered an asset.
* A Criminal Record Check with a vulnerable sector search satisfactory to the Employer is required for this position
Physical skills and working conditions:
This position requires keyboarding, handling of books & materials, pushing/pulling trucks, and manual processing of materials, serving the public on the floor and from the library’s service points and the ability to de-escalate conflict when working with difficult customers.
Required Qualifications & Education:
Master’s degree in Library or Information Sciences or equivalent from a school accredited by the American Library Association (A.L.A.). Some public library experience preferred. CPR/First Aid certification is required.
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion:
The Oshawa Public Libraries is committed to a barrier-free recruitment and selection process. We uphold our values of diversity, equity, inclusion and anti-racism in the delivery of our services and in our workplace. The Oshawa Public Libraries encourages applications from all applicants, including members of groups with historical employment barriers to equity, this is including but not limited to, Indigenous, Black and Racialized groups, People with Disabilities, Women and Persons within the 2SLGBTQ+ Community.
The Oshawa Public Libraries is an Equal Opportunity Employer in accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005 and the Ontario Human Rights Code. Should you require Code-protected accommodation, through any stage of the recruitment process, please make them known when contacted by Human Resources. Personal information provided is collected under the authority of the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act.
To learn more about the Oshawa Public Libraries please see our website https://oshawalibrary.ca/
Interested applicants are requested to submit a current resume and cover letter to email@example.com quoting job # OPL 22-2022. Only Applicants who are selected for an interview will be contacted. We will not be accepting phone calls regarding this position. Questions can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org