Location: RHPL – Oak Ridges
Schedule: Monday to Friday with evening and Saturday hours
Employee Group: RHPL Non Union
Rate of Pay: $79,946.00 - $93,499.00
Job Type: Contract – up to 18 months
Replacement/New Position: Replacement
*** We invite all interested applications to apply directly through our website: https://jobs.richmondhill.ca/job/Richmondhill-Asso...
In a manner consistent with Richmond Hill Public Library’s overall vision and purpose, offers support to the Branch Manager with the effective coordination of all tasks related to branch library functions, including information services, customer and circulation services, and programming. Aids in the supervision, training, coaching and feedback for Branch staff, including determining day-to-day priorities, implementing standards, maintaining effective communication and monitoring work flow. Responsible for planning, executing and promoting library services and programs, including library instruction, in a team environment and provides in-depth information services to the public. Delivers excellent customer service in a culture of values
To accomplish our goal of quality customer service, our expectation is that things are said and accomplished based on the values as listed below and in our strategic plan:
Literacy and Lifelong Learning
Typical Duties and Responsibilities
1. Supports a welcoming library environment.
2. Provides in-depth information services to the public.
3. Plans, executes and promotes library and outreach programming.
4. Assists the Branch Manager in monitoring, organizing and providing customer and circulation service functions, including but not limited to:
1. Welcoming and directional service
2. Registration of members
3. Circulation of materials
4. Assessment and collection of fines and fees
5. Instruction and assistance to customers with Library self-services
6. Shelf reading and collection maintenance
5. Supports a welcoming library environment.
6. Resolves escalated customer issues. Exceeds customer expectations, and develops creative solutions to meet and/or acknowledge customer needs.
7. Coordinates Branch staff by leading, setting priorities and planning work flow efficiencies.
8. Assists Branch Manager with supervision of Branch staff, including:
Scheduling of staff
Time sheet preparation
Making recommendations regarding performance evaluations
9. Assists the Branch Manager in the application of policies and procedures.
10. Evaluates the efficiency and effectiveness of the branch and makes recommendations for change or improvement.
11. Supports effective communications in the branch and ensures the communication cascade from meetings is delivered to staff. Conducts shift meetings as needed.
12. Plans, recommends for selection, and maintains library collections as part of a team.
13. Assists with timely website content development in the context of branch services and programs.
14. Maintains liaisons with local community groups, schools and individuals regarding library services and programs
15. Assumes responsibility for the Branch in the absence of the Manager.
16. Assists with timely website content development in the context of branch services and programs.
17. Participates on committees and interdepartmental teams, and attends relevant meetings, workshops and courses as required.
18. Responsible for observing and following all established occupational health and safety procedures, to be aware of hazards in the workplace and preventative measures taken. Takes an active part in protecting oneself, fellow staff members and library property by reporting all hazardous conditions and unsafe work procedures. Adheres to the Employee Health and Safety Manual and to the Richmond Hill Public Library Health and Safety Policy
19. Performs other related duties as assigned.
Master of Library/Information Science Degree from an ALA accredited program
Minimum of three years relevant experience, applicable to the public library environment
Ability to work flexible hours, including evenings and weekends
ABILITIES, SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE REQUIREMENTS
Demonstrated commitment to superior customer service
Demonstrated excellent communication skills, both oral and written, and interpersonal skills, including the ability to:
o Communicate in a highly effective manner with a full range of customers and staff
o Instruct and assist customers with use of self-services, including supporting technologies
o Demonstrated ability to mediate and resolve conflict effectively
o Train, instruct and coach library staff
Excellent knowledge of electronic resources, website content development, social media and information literacy
Demonstrated ability to work effectively and cooperatively in a team environment
Demonstrated analytical and problem-solving skills
Demonstrated knowledge of, and experience in use of applicable library information systems
Strong working knowledge of Windows software and strong word processing skills
Experience in providing superior information service and programming to adults and children
Analytical and problem solving skills
Supervisory experience in a unionized and diverse environment
o Works in a fast-paced environment and a culture based on values, teamwork, collaboration and technology
o Work at any Richmond Hill Public Library Board location or offsite as necessary
o Works a pre-arranged schedule, subject to change, including evenings and weekends
ORGANIZATIONAL CORE COMPETENCIES
o Customer Service o Manages the Library environment to enhance the Customer experience.
o Applies customer service skills to enhance the level of Customer satisfaction. o Applies effective techniques to address difficult situations with customers.
o Understand, use and helps others use basic computer hardware, software, mobile devices and the internet.
o Maintains awareness of commonly used technologies and applies technology effectively for ongoing learning and collaboration.
o Develops and maintains effective relationships with others to achieve common goals.
o Works effectively in teams with strong team-building skills and attitudes.
o Applies effective strategies to conflict.
o Communicates effectively using a variety of methods.
o Communicates effectively with a variety of audiences and individuals from diverse backgrounds.
o Selects and applies the most appropriate and effective communication means to meet situational needs.
o Learning and Innovation
o Manages the development of one’s own learning and ongoing improvement of skills and knowledge
o Demonstrates critical thinking and problem solving skills.
o Uses creative and innovate approaches
o Ethics and Values
o Understands and acts in accordance with the basic values and ethics of Library service
About Richmond Hill Public Library
Richmond Hill Public Library is committed to inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection processes. If contacted to participate in the recruitment and selection process, please advise Human Resources if you require an accommodation.
Please note, to be considered for a career opportunity at the Richmond Hill Public Library you must have received the full series of a COVID-19 vaccine approved by Health Canada (or the World Health Organization). You may also be required to receive any COVID-19 boosters recommended by public health authorities. The Richmond Hill Public Library will consider cases requiring accommodation as stipulated by relevant employment standards legislation or regulation and/or the Ontario Human Rights Code.
This position may be relocated to another location in the future to meet service needs for the community. All applicants should understand that the ability to work at any library location is a requirement of this position.
The Library will require a current Vulnerable Sector Screening from the successful applicant as a condition of